Sunday, July 01, 2007

Sunday Scribblings

What's Your Sign?
Funny this one. I nearly didn't write about it as my faith does not encourage an interest in astrology. Before I became a Christian I was full into it though and I knew a lot, I could cast charts and all sorts. I found it absolutely fascinating, the subtleties of the study.


As I became interested in the Christian faith I recognised that Deuteronomy was fairly clear - do not look to the stars for guidance. Let me be clear: there is nothing in Scripture that I can find that forbids the study of astrology, however, we are required not to rely upon it or cast our fortune upon it. I am a fundamental kind of person. If you are going to believe something then believe it with your whole heart, don't mess about. I was sorry, but willing to give it up as part of my commitment to the God that I was falling in love with and I laid it down.

I still remember a lot of the information though and when a conversation is started about astrology I join in rather than throw my hands up in horror as I have seen many Christians do. However, the fact is that if you tell me that you are a Scorpio or a Pisces...well, I know a lot about you. (Actually I have never been told by a Scorpio that they are a Scorpio, they always like you to guess, so do Capricorns) I know there is something in it and I acknowledge its accuracy and its limitations. And I do this because I know that the Lord created Heaven and Earth and all that is in it and He is not a God of confusion but of order. He sang the stars into being, in all their beauty and He set them on the paths that they tread through the sky. It is natural that there is a grace and precision that even mankind can spot.

I was born in early March and to some that makes me a Piscean. Well, I see enough of the character in me to go with that sure... and I think being a Pisces is pretty cool actually, but the fact of the matter is that I was reborn under the sign of the Cross and that means I don't have to be limited to what I want to do or what kind of person I want to be because of the position of a constellation against the sun at the time of my birth. I can be anything I want because Jesus said I can.


For additional discussion of this topic may I recommend what my dear V has to say: check it out here, it is interesting.

9 comments:

jill terry said...

Now, why in the world would you think this would piss people off? It was a lovely post...

Buy the yarn, you'll be sorry if you don't and you'll also be thinking about it while in chrurch!

Sian said...

Hey Jill
If you had spoken to some of the Christians that I have spoken to...!

And you're right about the yarn, I would be thinking about it :)

Clare said...

Hi Sian! I like how you said "I don't have to be limited to what I want to do or what kind of person I want to be because of the position of a constellation against the sun at the time of my birth." I agree. And your love for Jesus is beautiful!!

Sian said...

You always say such lovely things Clare, you are a credit to your faith.

rel said...

Sian,
You are so right on...God gave us free will and that alone supercedes any star position predetermining our choices. ;-0
Great post.
rel

Sian said...

Thanks rel

Anonymous said...

A very touching post on faith and self. Thank you.

nimi said...

I too agree that your personality isn't shaped by how the stars are aligned. It is our experiences, beliefs and perspective that helps us evolve into the beings we are.

Sian said...

Thank you D&B and Moonlight, it was nice of you to drop by