Sunday, July 29, 2007

Waiting

Took a friend to casualty today. She dropped a monitor on her foot, as you do, and needed to check out the swelling. They got her through triage very quickly. It was the x ray that took the time. Equipped with my knitting I didn't mind but I had forgotten how bleak waiting rooms are. There were no magazines and the TV had a cage over it, something I had never seen before.

There were the leftovers of a hard Saturday night in Swansea. Three truly massive men, bar room brawlers or doormen, hard to tell really and one of them had been glassed in the face. Crikey I thought, could you imagine the size of the bloke that would glass the likes of him?
Apparently though it was a woman that had attacked him and his mates were laughing at him like a pair of school girls. They thought it was hilarious. They sobered up a bit when they had to phone his mum but they were back to the giggles soon after. He took it good spirit considering his lip was in half.

I sat there with my knitting (Cobweb, yes still) and thought about how I had wanted to be a nurse when I was a young woman. Not on your life would I do the job now.

My friend was fine, just bruised. But due, we think, to the litigious society in which we now live, the doctor, despite all his many years of training would not confirm that the bone was not broken. Rest and painkillers were prescribed. If it gets worse, come back.

So no bones broken and I got two humungus rows of cobweb done. Good news all round, except for that poor brawler who got seven stitches and a flea in his ear from a tired staff nurse.

3 comments:

Patois42 said...

It would be quite scary nowadays to be a nurse, I think. Particularly one in an emergency room.

Pilgrim said...

Love to read your posts Sian. You put a light spin on an otherwise unfortunate situation. Takes me back to the days of reading James Herriott.

It's interesting to read that you have the same issues in the Emergency Room that we have on this side of the pond.

Sian said...

Yes Patois, I think A&E has definately become a more dangerous place to work over the years.
Thanks for that Pilgrim, Herriott is one of my favourite authors