Thursday, July 05, 2007

Thursday - Love is all Around

Grubby Eden

This was taken on the day out in Blaenavon a couple of months ago. The children had been playing in the dirt around the Irish cottages (behind) and I thought that Eden probably would have fitted right in with the workers brats of the time.
On one hand I hate seeing my kids dirty because I cannot bear to think of what they must have been digging around in to get so mucky and on the other I love to see them dirty because I know they have such fun getting that way.

In the 1830's little Eden would have had another three years of staying at home with Mam and then the likelihood was that she would have been sent to the works to chip iron ore for a penny a day. Thank goodness we live now rather than then.

5 comments:

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

my mother always used to say a little bit of dirt never did anybody any harm -- sometimes I think we try to over-sanitize our children.

Sian said...

Yup, I agree Mr Ackworth. One day I will post up a pic of the soles of my kid's feet. Coal fires in our house, there's not much that's over sanitised here!

Lorraine said...

Sian- it's part of the fun of being a kid. My kids spent their early years in the sandbox, and loved every minute of it.

Sian said...

Now, sand and I do not get on. It inveriably gets in the kids knickers and all hell breaks loose!

Clare said...

Sweet little face and I love the hat! So adorable.