Friday, August 10, 2007

What Siani Did

I remembered that I haven't told you about the church meet last night. The church building is in three parts, one of which is an old gymnasium. So we, the four of us Todd, Stephanie, V and myself were asked along to talk to folk about Wales and the culture and what Todd and Stephanie had been doing there for the past two years.

It was a wonderful few hours of sharing my country with people who probably will never see it. To try and sum up my culture in an hour...hard work really but you know me, when I get talking it takes a shovel on the back of the neck to get me to shut up! I talked the hind leg off a donkey. Storytelling, music, the bardic tradition, the conquest by the Normans, the Rape of the Fair Country, the Poll Tax riots in the 80's and the general political apathy that afflicts the UK in general...I talked for Britain, quite literally.
But hey, they asked me right? Like I'm going to play the shrinking violet...that's not why I'm here! So I talked Wales up, I talked COTM up and I had a really good time doing it.
So, so far, it's been good.


The mall today was weird. We went in and it was rather like any mall in the UK really. Bright, cool etc but the shops were a little funkier. They were playing Talk Talk and REM on the music system so I felt right at home. We had a Ben and Jerrys half way through the marathon. Never had Ben and Jerrys before. I think mine was called cherry garcia and I had a latte, so sugar, fat and caffeine and I was good to go for the rest of the afternoon. Jeepers I was full after that! But what was weird was that there I was, feeling right at home, then we stepped out of the cool into this wave of heat and I saw a car go by with a driver on the wrong side and this peculiar sense of dislocation came over me. I don't think we are in Cymru anymore Toto!

I am now shopped out. Sara I got you the Yankee candle tarts, you didn't specify a fragrance so I got you a selection and I cannot get your blog up sweetie, have you given me the correct address? I want to see how you guys are doing.

Take care my darlings. Still a long time to go before I see you again but we are having fun and the girls really love the warmth and the cooking. You should see Lily pack the grub away, you won't recognise her when the little lard ball gets back home!

Nos da Cariad x


2 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

Ben and Jerry's .. now that is a treat. I hope your trip continues to be a good one.

Sa said...

WOw yankee candle tarts in a selection, you are spoiling me!