Sunday, August 12, 2007

Scuppernongs are not the only fruit...

But they are certainly tasty. Yes scuppernongs - I kid you not! What a word! It is a fruit belonging to the grape family. It looks like a greengage or a rather butch gooseberry and it tastes unique, very refreshing, grapey texture but the skin is really tough.

It was cooler today, 98 degrees rather than 102. (!) Today we went to a farmer's market. Cowbridge it was not, cataracts of tomatoes, peppers, watermelons larger than cannonballs, squash of every size and description from huge sweet potato squash to the pretty little patty pans, dainty in shades of buttercup and cucumber. There were pickling cucumbers, home made preserves, tiny figs and shiny baby plum tomatoes, aubergines larger than I have ever seen. Just the sight of all this produce got the gastric juices going. I felt very happy wandering around picking up these good things grown in such fierce heat and light. I knew they would taste wonderful. So we had ratatouille tonight for dinner with roast chicken and noodles. And strawberries and melon, grapes... and scuppernongs.

The latter has a pretty story attached actually. I was just looking at these strange fruit and a kind looking elderly lady came up to me and asked me how I would say the word. I told her that I had never seen them before and of course she picked up on my accent. She knew I was Welsh straight away! Her husband had been in the military and had been stationed there for some time but the name of the place escaped her. We chatted and I told her how much I was enjoying my stay here. You know me, when I enjoy something it kind of beats off me in waves doesn't it? She was delighted that I was so thrilled with everything and she invited me to taste one of these scuppernongs, (such a charming word, I can't stop writing it). They were very tasty and I told her so, she was so pleased that I was pleased that she bought some and gave them to me as a little present!

How can you fail to enjoy a country where complete strangers are so generous?
Miss Katie, you will never read this, but thank you once again. You are sweet.

Off now to give the kids a bath. Church tomorrow, lunch out, visiting with the pastor (an uncle of Todds) and generally doing the social pretty. Best bib and tucker and that means shiny angelic (looking) children...It is just about half eight at night here, gone 2 am with you. Sleep well...we are all fine here.

Nos da Cariad
x

2 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

I am glad you have found our citizens to be kind and that Farmer's Market sounds incredible.

Anonymous said...

Sounds dodgy mun! Glad ew having a good time SianyWany! :)
Sgonna be weeeurd not having any buntings or Elvis's children in church tonight. But it's OK cuz i've got my OUTRAGEOUS shoes to keep me amused ;P
urrrrram, what else?
well u won't see me ever again for three reasons
1-A Levels on Thursday, has been entitled the day of doom and peril and torture and death.
2-Mine and James homo-erotic adventures have come to publication i see [but he loved it! LOL!]
3-We lost 62-5 to England :(
Serious.

Tarra Tarra!
xx