Friday, August 31, 2007

Tennesee ii

The following day, yesterday in fact but I am writing this at 2 am my time so bear with me if I get confused... anyway... We were due back in Huntsville and off we went until I saw the sign for the Jack Daniels distillery. Could not pass it without taking a look, even though I don't drink it regularly, it is very good in cocacola. So we drove off the track a bit (it had to be at least forty miles out of our way) and visited...only to find that the tour involved an hour of walking over ground unsuitable for push chairs. Neither of us fancied carrying the girls for that length of time so we passed, but I did not leave empty handed...Come on, do you think I would not buy an award winning whiskey when it was right under my nose? Besides the pound is so strong to the dollar right now...etc etc. V forked out uncomplaining I toddled off a happy girl, Lily on one hip, JD on the other. Can you tell I'm a Christian by the way?

The town of Lynchburg was only a few hundred yards away from the distillery and despite its rather suspiciously nasty name or am I the only one that thinks "mob" when they hear that? It is a charming place. A proper small town America/Waltons type place. It even had an old guy sitting on a rocking chair on the side walk (raised and wooden, so Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!) I think the town council must pay him to sit there just for the tourists, of which there were many. Yes it was a tourist trap, but hey, it was so cute, who cares!

First stop...the Country Kitchen with an eat all you like lunch buffet. Fried chicken, mashed potaotes, green beans, rice, and amazing sweet sauce. Went back for second helpings, hush puppies (not the shoes, a kind of battered burger) fried squash and broccoli. Eating for fun I was
...and I had pudding Apple and pear cobbler and I swear I have never in my life tasted anything so good. The top was like a kind of heavy batter, the fruit had been canned in syrup and was achingly sweet and parts had caremelised. So, so good. It will tell you how sweet it was that when I took a sip of coke after a bite, the drink was surprisingly bland. Oh dear me. I resisted second helpings even though I wanted some very much. I contented myself with a cup of Blue Bunny butter pecan ice cream. The girls had strawberry and mint choc chip. V just stared in awe at his womenfolk demolishing the food like a plague of locusts. He had restrained himself to the catfish. I had tried catfish at the Gulf and had no difficulty sticking to the fried chicken.

Off then around the stores. Found a few pressies, yay! And best of all I wandered into a co operative store of the ladies of the county and found myself a Little House on the Prarie bonnet. Just like Elizabeth Ingalls wears at the start. I have no idea where I will wear it, but I have wanted one since I was a child. Hurrah! I will wear it to spinning demonstrations...the other guild members will have a fit. Neve mind, it's a laugh innit?

Back in Huntville now but tomorrow off to Osark, where ever that is. Todd and Steph have been grounded in Oklahoma due to bad weather and are driving back tonight, a twelve hour drive apparently. I think they are nuts, but they really want to go to Osark.

From Osark it is off to Atlanta and home on the 3rd so, this might be the last post from me for a while. Unless there is a 'puter at the cousin's house. But maybe not, so if not...see you in Blighty!
Take care of yourselves
Nos da Cariad
x

1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

YOu are really seeing Tennesee. My dad's family was from this state and visiting the J. Daniel's distillery was a highlight of his trip. There was nothing about Tennesee that he didn't like. I hope you continue to enjoy the states.