Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Journey Out

16:20 finally boarded the plane. The twins fell asleep almost immediately, all cosied up in their baby traps (car seats, inconvinient to carry but almost worth the hassle).

16.40 Take off! Twins slept through it, I hung on for grim death and laughed at myself the whole time. Didn't let go of the armrest though!

20.40 Half way across the Atlantic. Altitude 34000 feet. We are just below Greenland. Handy little computer map embedded into the head rest of each seat before your very eyes. The kids are quite happy, Lily is playing with a hair band. Honestly, here I am loaded up to the gunwhales with toys, crayons, books etc. They have cartoons on continuous replay and they are playing with a hair bobble!
There is a little turbulence but its not bad. It is rather like being on a train..

Just under four hours to go before we land. We are now flying over New Found Land. All that I know about that is the poem that John Donne wrote.
"Oh my America, my New found land"
Quite a sexy one if memory serves correctly. Is New Foundland sexy? The dogs are built like bears I know that.
Don't worry the altitude is getting to me I think...

...1840 miles to go. Good grief, whose idea was this?....Mine
Static has turned me into a Vulcan. (now there's a distracting sentence) My hair is plastered to my head and my lilac top has brought the delicate shade of lavender under my eyes into a blooming display of weariness.

And there is still immigration and terrifying border guards to go. Yay!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Sian- As a Canadian I'll educate you- it's said as one word "Newfoundland" pronounced Newfunland- and with Labrador forms the most eastern province.
It is quite the most beautiful place- the people speak with a unique accent- sort of Irish, but not really.
Hope you and the family are enjoying the south.