Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Space Odessey 2007

Did you know that Huntsville, Alabama was a prime force in the American space programme? Neither did I. But apparently it was/ is. NASA is a massive employer in the town and there is a Space and Rocket centre here. Which is what we went to see today. V, T, me and three (kids) all toddled off to investigate a space museum. The men and kids were fascinated, but I am sorry to say an awful lot of it went over my head, space exploration not being my bag really. But I did like the inflatable solar system on display in the shop. Almost bought it, but then got mentally embarrassed. "Yeah I went to America and bought the solar system" It just didn't go somehow...
But I tried out some kind of lunar command module. For such a small space, these astronauts have got to be big chaps. I fitted quite nicely in the cockpit, but I couldn't reach the ceiling switches nor the foot rests. Another career nipped in the bud. I am too short to explore space :(

The Girls and I tried out a special scales that told us how much we would weigh on different planets. I can't remember how much we would weigh on Mars but on the moon the girls would weigh 8.5 lbs each and I would weigh 17lbs. A bit far to go to lose weight I think. Though some people I know would think it worth the effort I am sure!

Dash home then to be ready in time for some friends of Todd and Steph to come for dinner. Miss Sadie made Southern fried chicken, squash, beans, corn on the cob and collards to eat with Banana pudding and/or lemon meringue pie for dessert. I am telling you, I am eating for fun out here, something I rarely do, but the food is too good to stop eating just because you are full. I can see I am going to have to have a fruit and salad day soon just to give the system a rest or else I'll be going home with gout!


Buffi and Mark were very friendly, fun people who have just adopted a little Chinese girl and it turns out that Buffi is a blogger too. So I will be popping over sometime soon. Come along and check out the voyage that is adopting from a foreign country with Sadies Journey Home. (link up soon)

Despite some truly magnificent mosquitoes, the kids played in the pool until it was almost dark. It is in the low 80's here at about8.30 pm. All this and banana pudding too.

Hope you guys are weathering the gales alright. I hope my house still has a roof... Anne, if it is convenient, would you drive up there sometime this week and check on Zac for me please? Thanks a lot.

See you guys, hope you are all okay

Nos da cariad
x

4 comments:

Buffi Young said...

It was very nice to meet you guys tonight! What wonderful friends you are to Todd and Steph. They are so blessed by your friendship!!! Have a wonderful time while you're in America! I've enjoyed reading about your trip so far, and look forward to reading about all kinds of new experiences that you have! We pray you guys have a wonderful week!
Blessings,
Buffi Young

Anonymous said...

That's how much u lot weigh anyway :|
And you don't wanna know Mum's response to your request :p
xxx

Nicole said...

My sis has actually been to Space Camp in Huntsville (twice)! She has lots of cool stories about it. She wanted to be an astronaut when she was younger, but after the Challenger disaster she changed her mind. That was an incredibly sad day. :(

Christy Woolum said...

You are going to miss this southern cooking!!