Sunday, June 10, 2007

Story Sacks


Notice the hippo/rhino? Couldn't find a rhino toy so I bought a hippo. A snip of white felt later and he's had a species change. Cool or what?

Storysacks are a reading initiative for nursery and infant years in school, the brain child of a headmaster up North (will Google it up and place link later).

The sacks comprise of a fiction book, a non-fiction book, toys to fit the characters in the story, a CD or tape of the book, themed games and puzzles and anything else you can think of really.

I have made one on Slinky Malinki by Lynley Dodd and another on The Gruffalo. And they both were amazing fun to make. It is not something to undertake lightly as it becomes a bit of an obsession getting just the right prop for the story. Well, first you have to pick the story, decide what age it is suitable for then plan the activities around that. Absorbing is the word.

So my next one is on Splash by Flora McDonall. Rose adored this story when she was a toddler and the twins love it too and that is always necessary for a good sack. It is very simple tale of hot jungle animals cooling themselves down in a waterhole. The illustrations are bold and bright - good colour identification point. And I think I can get a bit of science in there too - hot and cold, melting ice cube activities, along with opposite ideas and concepts. All aimed at the level of a three year old. it is not as easy as it sounds!

Today I found a book on opposites going for the pricely sum of 49 pence so I can cut that up and use it to make flash cards, which will save me the hassle of making them up in Publisher. So not only a bargain but a useful, time and effort saving one too.

Anyway, what with all that, I only have to record the story onto CD and I'm done. More brownie points for me with the nursery staff, a consideration when I have sent them Lily (aka the Molotov)
Pictures tomorrow hopefully
Nos da my lovlies

2 comments:

starinajar said...

*eyes weeping* Just saw the rhino picture and no offence (it looks great) but it has made me burst out loud with laughter. I don't know why, it is just superb. strange how some things can do that to you eh?...

Sian said...

I've thought it for a while and now I know...you are weird :)