Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Joys of Parenting

Inspired by Patois and Rose an ocean away but very near in experiences I thought that I would write a little about my joys of being a parent and the fact that my kids have a hero dad.


Today Rose is off to a wedding with her Gran. I refused to attend on the grounds that I would die of cynicism. But Rose loves a chance to dress up and be told how lovely she is (who doesn't?) So, there she is, hair plaited elf style with ribbons, finger nails painted, tiny bit of Mum's lipgloss and there she is, a vision at seven, God help the Neath boys in ten years time.


Well, I'd like to do my dishes
but I can't find the sink

Right, she's done. Time to sort out the kitchen. We had a new sofa and chairs last night, completely out of the blue, so it meant getting rid of our rather grotty suite (yay!) and the even grottier toy chest hulking in the corner (yay!) but the end result is Seven...count them...seven bags of toys and assorted clutter to sort, throw out, find new homes for. And all the while the girls are delving through the mayhem and finding toys that haven't seen the light of day in about a year. Good grief.

In the midst of this Rose shrieks My earrings!

You see, I in a fit of abberation, had promised her new earrings to go with the dress she was wearing to the wedding. This was ages ago. I bought the beads and findings, threw them in my beading box and forgot all about them. Rose however, posesses a fantastic memory. She remembered my promise with an hour to go before she left and hell's own mess everywhere. Oh No! I don't have my crafting head on. Can I blag my way out of it? A promise is a promise...arrrgh... moral difficulty however, was melted in her big sky eyes. Can't resist, out comes the bead box and the quickest pair of earrings and necklet that I have ever made. It's amazing what one can do given the right motivation.

I looked up with my bead blurred vision ( I should wear glasses for close work- getting old see? - but I can never find them) to find that V the magnificent had cleared all the mess on the dining table and had carried out half a ton of rubbish to the car ready for him to take it to the tip, which he later did, came back and took Rose to the wedding before visiting his father in hospital. Wow, I have in fact married an angel.

My children however...

You see, while all this is going on...and I haven't told you about the mechanical Christmas mouse that sings "Let it Snow" on repeat and belting it out mind you, in order to compete with Bryan Adams in the kitchen assuring me that the only thing that looked good on him was me...I wish.. and the fact that I'd also forgotten to feed Zac so he was all over me purring seductively and telling me how wonderful I was. Eden, sensing a weakness took the opportunity to sneak upstairs. Okay, so got the picture? Mayhem, beads, hungry cat, Bryan, mouse, toys from pillar to post, got it? Good...now add MUMMY! from upstairs. Fortunately, I was snowed under with beads and simply could not move or else Lily would be in there like a hawk and these are swarovski crystals darling...expensive stuff, can't go, you see to it. Off V went, not knowing the horror waiting for him. Eden, having failed to negotiate the loo properly had done what she needed to do in the bedroom - in copious amounts. And it was not pretty at all. Not at all...

So there you are not a typical morning thank goodness, but worth remembering. At least I think so. Whether V will ever be able to forget, long though he might wish to, is another thing.

No comments: