Thursday, June 28, 2007

Spent Out...almost

Borders was fab. Had company this time so it was a bit more fun. Debated the relative merits of David Gemmel versus Robin Hobb (Gemmel, no contest) with my middle nephew and got treated to coffee by my dear sister.
I was rather sad to find that there were no spinning books that I could find. Plenty of crochet offerings and I managed to have a look at Flirty crochet and I'm glad I did. I was thinking of ordering it with amazon but really, flirty it was not...and I think that is all I can say and stay within my kind blog remit. I didn't buy it shall we say.

Had a good gander round the history section, Sis bought a grim book on the Cesares and the new book by the editor of GQ magazine on ettiquette for the modern man. I read a paragraph of it and indeed it seemed invaluable, quite pungent, but dealing with some relevant issues that a young man might come up against in life in general. How come kids are not taught how to break up with someone nicely in school? Anyway, Tom is getting this as a parting gift when he leaves for Uni in September. A black day that will be too, not looking forward to that. It strikes me that this book by Dylan Jones I think his name is, would also be quite a handy users guide as it were for females. Always interesting to get the insiders view point and sometimes quite handy when one is at a loss.

It was not too long before I inevitably gravitated to the poetry section. Well, I've seen better shall we say. There were the usual suspects...Poetry Please! The Rattle Bag, Andrew Motion, Benjamin Zephaniah - even angrier than the last time I read him. There were some delicate little books on haiku and a clear mile of W.B. Yeats, is there a centenary coming up or something? And there was not an anthology there that did not churn out the same old same old that they always do. I didn't want the slim volumes of a single poet, though I did think about a pretty little volume of RS Thomas, but at seven quid for a book that was less than half a centimetre thick...No, not really. Then just as I was about to give up I found Poetry to MAke You Smile. I could stand that I thought, picked it up and read three harmless little ditties that I had never read before. Printed on paper so thick as to be almost chunky, it is pleasingly modern in design with a decent size but not obtrusive print

The Rabbit
The rabbit has a charming face:
Its private life is a disgrace.
I really dare not name to you
The awful things that rabbits do...

Anon

That is a little exerpt from one of my favourites. And it's not as awful as you might think at the finish.

From Borders I had a few errands to run in town and as I didn't have the encumbrance of a double pram, took the opportunity to have a browse in some clothing stores. Hardly ever get that opportunity. And there waiting for me was this funky little halter neck dress in a lovely soft slinky cotton. Sold. Can't remember the last time I bought a new dress. Now all I need is somewhere to wear it.

So an enjoyable afternoon, just what I needed. I haven't had retail therapy session like this since last Christmas and I don't think it's over yet. Just don't tell V that's all.

Almost ten o clock now and the insomnia of last night is starting to bite. I'm off to bed.

Nos da my lovlies


3 comments:

Nicole said...

Have you read "Spin to Knit"? It's one that I'm going to buy next time I have time for retail therapy. (I like that phrase, and will steal - er, borrow - it.) I got it from the library, and it's been a bunch of help.

Sian said...

We really are twins aren't we Nicole
:)

Clare said...

The Rabbit poem made my day!