Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Car Show

Getting there was quite easy. Bank holiday traffic or no, it was not the horrific crush that I imagined it would be - that said there were plenty of people there, couldn't say how many thousands, but probably hitting the tens. It was a lovely sunny day and we got there quite early. There is something so delightful about classic cars and proud owners. Many of them had picnic baskets and some had barbecues. There was just a gentle happiness about it.
While the girls were pretty much left cold by the cars - no matter how hard I tried to get Rose excited about the Spitfire we saw - they enjoyed the parkland and the stroll. Now that I look at the pics, there is hardly any of the actual park... I'll stop now and you can look for yourselves...


V's favourite I think. He says that he preferred the TR6 which I found so ugly I would not take a picture of it.But what chap of a certain age does not remember Starsky and Hutch with fondness?

I didn't really have eyes for anything else. V dragged me away before I got too embarrassing.
It's a Triumph Spitfire mark 2 if you did not already know. Should have been red in order to be absolutely perfect,but British Racing Green is the next best thing.

These were The Real Deal - men in love with the internal combustion engine. They had their own little roped off section for the Ancient Order of Things That Backfire and this guy is the King of the Petrol Heads...

...and here are his courtiers

Okay, I know I loved the Spitfire, but for me this was the highlight of the show. A 1950's picnic basket in mint condition with the sweetest little porcelain cups and saucers, silver teaspoons and room for the dinkiest bottle of champagne that I had ever seen. I so want one of these.
"You are such a girl" V said.
"QED" I replied.

So we had a lot of fun. On the way home we stopped for a Joe's ice cream and we watched the boats leave the Marina using the whopping great sea locks. And V cooked tea when we got home.

8 comments:

Pippa said...

Sounds like an absolutely lovely day! Oh for a picnic in a pretty park under a warm sun.

Greg C said...

I love the picnic basket too. We have a nice one but it is new and not that fancy.

robin ann mcintosh said...

you lead such a peaceful life.

or, it sounds like it.

i was wondering, do you mind if i link you in my next blog post? if not, i was wondering, what is your favorite post?

i

Sian said...

Pippa: It was really :) Although I prefer things a little less crowded...

Greg: But you get to picnic in Charleston which (thanks, I'll admit, to Margaret Mitchell)just sounds the most wonderful thing going :)

Little Bird: Yes, my life is mostly peaceful, though my daughters can throw a little stormy weather my way at times!
I would be delighted for you to link to me in your next post :)
My favourite post on my blog? Or on someone else's? Either way, I'll have to think about that one...

Anonymous said...

WHAT. british racing green is the colour for any british sports car . red is fine for those across the channel.what do they know about class.shame on you sian.the spitfire spirit. V must put is foot down.and then talk of picnic baskets.us british we should know our place cold tea and jam sandwichs.see you all soon.joy for faith and family,john will be over the moon.

Lorraine said...

Sian- Starsky and Hutch- better known as "Sparkplug and Clutch"-

and discriminating car lovers prefer British Racing Green.

Sian said...

POD: I agree completely. My own British sports car is BRG after all :)
However, a Spitfire should be red cos that's just the way it should be :)

Lorraine: I rather liked the blonde one in my youth...until I found out he was allegedly a wife beater :(

As for BRG, see above :)

dottycookie said...

A perfect day, indeed. Oh, and if I had a Spitfire, it would definitely be British Racing Green, for the name if nothing else! We've been seeing lots of Spitfires of the flying sort here recently - there's an airshow very soon!