Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Book Thingy

Lifted from Kitchen Witch, I thought I had done one of these but apparently I have deleted it. I am a bit embarrassed at how few of these I have heard of let alone read. I regret to say that I will not be changing my reading habits any time soon though.

CODE:
I've read it
I started but didn't finish it
Not my thing :(
Intend to read it someday*
Never heard of it ?

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell :(
Anna Karenina :(
Crime and Punishment :(
One Hundred Years of Solitude ?
Wuthering Heights
The Silmarillion
Life of Pi: A Novel
The Name of the Rose :( - enjoyed the film though
Don Quixote * maybe
Moby Dick
Ulysses :( Dubliners was bad enough
Madame Bovary:(
The Odyssey
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Eyre
Tale of Two Cities :(
The Brothers Karamazov :(
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies ? Sounds a barrel of laughs tho
War and Peace :(
Vanity Fair every page was agony
The Time Traveler’s Wife *
The Iliad
Emma
The Blind Assassin ?
The Kite Runner* (maybe)
Mrs. Dalloway ? I think I've heard of it but I could be imagining it
Great Expectations arrrrrgh!
American Gods ?
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius ? Wuh?
Atlas Shrugged ?
Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books?
Memoirs of a Geisha* I like to think I will read this, but I probably won't
Middlesex ? I mean I've heard of the county but a book?....
Quicksilver ? This is getting a bit embarrassing now
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West ? but it sounds good...
The Canterbury Tales amazingly fabulous
The Historian ?
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man :(
Love in the Time of Cholera
Brave New World*
The Fountainhead?
Foucault’s Pendulum?
Middlemarch dire, Silas Marner was a thousand times better
Frankenstein :(
The Count of Monte Cristo :( Another one that I would like to read but know I probably won't
Dracula :(
A Clockwork Orange :(
Anansi Boys?
The Once and Future King wonderful story
The Grapes of Wrath - my English professor made me read this at gunpoint. Foul.
The Poisonwood Bible *
1984 :( - I am allergic to Orwell
Angels & Demons? Sounds good though, but I bet you it probably isn't.
The Inferno - this was astonishingly good, really, I could not put it down, which was a shame as it weighed a flipping tonne!
The Satanic Verses :(
Sense and Sensibility
The Picture of Dorian Gray :( which is odd because I like Oscar Wilde's stories very much
Mansfield Park
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest :( - I would rather watch I Am Legend
To the Lighthouse - Is that Virginia Woolf? No thank you
Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Hardy at his most depressing and that is saying something
Oliver Twist
Gulliver’s Travels :(
Les Misérables :(
The Corrections ?
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay ?
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Dune pretentious poo, at least the film had style
The Prince * If this is Machiavelli then I would like to give it a go, but try ordering Machiavelli from Resolven library...
The Sound and the Fury?
Angela’s Ashes: A Memoir :( Lord, no
The God of Small Things? - At first I thought, what is Terry Pratchett doing on this list? Then I realised - he wrote Small Gods (which is excellent by the way)
A People’s History of the United States: 1492-present? Sorry
Cryptonomicon? Never heard of it but it sounds great!
Neverwhere?
A Confederacy of Dunces?
A Short History of Nearly Everything*
Dubliners - dull, why is this a classic? It completely passed me by.
The Unbearable Lightness of Being :(
Beloved?
Slaughterhouse-Five :(
The Scarlet Letter?
Eats, Shoots & Leaves* Just what every pedant needs..
The Mists of Avalon
Oryx and Crake ?
Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed?
Cloud Atlas?
The Confusion ?
Lolita :(
Persuasion
Northanger Abbey
The Catcher in the Rye - can't remember a thing about it though...weird
On the Road - never seen so many swear words on one page - and I've read some pretty pungent stuff let me tell you
The Hunchback of Notre Dame :( but enjoyed the film very much
Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything :(
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance :(
The Aeneid :(
Watership Down - excellent
Gravity’s Rainbow ?
The Hobbit
In Cold Blood?
White Teeth ?
Treasure Island :(
David Copperfield
The Three Musketeers :(

Soooo...that's me. How about you?

8 comments:

Lorraine said...

Sian- Mrs. Dalloway and To The Lighthouse I highly recommend.

robin ann mcintosh said...

One Hundred Years of Solitude is BEAUTIFUL - magical realism, I think you would love it. And White Teeth is good too! That book was on my reading list when I spent a semester in London. So of course you have to read it!

You are so honest, it's great. and inspiring : )

Sa said...

You have been tagged. Please go to my blog

Anonymous said...

I think these lists are designed to make us feel a bit inferior about our reading habits. To read a book should be enjoyed, not looked at as something to endure because "someone" has decreed you should read it.

Anansi Boys was rubbish. I can send you my (unfinished) copy if you like. LOL

Sian said...

Lorraine: I may give them a go now. See, once someone I like recommends something then it is less of a gamble isn't it?

Little Bird: Thank you, you are sweet.
I like magic realism fairy stories. So another two to have a bash at. Good thing I have holidays coming up...

Dizzy: I shall pop over straight after this :)

Kate: I agree, though some authors are like broccoli - not pleasurable but you know that they are doing you good. Dickens is that for me. I had years of reading worthy literature but my taste these days runs to candy floss.

Anonymous said...

about ten.the rest some i started but put down never to pick up.

Sian said...

Pod: Don't you ever sleep? Rich coming from me I know...

Anonymous said...

The Picture of Dorian Grey is one of my favourite stories! I've borrowed the entire works of Oscar Wilde off Nanna and it's pretty awesome; and I've got a copy of Dorian Grey if you would like to borrow it some time. x