Monday, January 21, 2008

On the Wheel Today

Camel Down

When John the Baptist was preaching in the desert, this was not the stuff he was wearing. This gorgeous, light fluffy stuff has the nasty, rough, hairy itchys all removed and what is left is the downy underfur that keeps camels cosy through chilly desert nights. This is beautiful to spin. It is quite a short fibre so isn't really suitable for a beginner, but if the yarn is wrapped around the flyer it slows the pull of the wheel down which makes it easier to spin. Wake up! It has the same feel as cashmere (about 17 microns where as cashmere is 15 microns and those two microns make no difference at all to me) but is under half the price.

It is a rather distressing shade of brown but I am going to have a bash at dying it after it is spun and plied. I am hoping that I will be able to take it to a purple or a red. But even if I can only take it to a reddish shade of brown it will be an improvement. The good news is that camel down is unfeltable so it wont turn into a terrible claggy lump after washing.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Sian- I kind of like the natural camel colour.

Sian said...

If I was being charitable I might call it toffee, but as I am not usually charitable when it comes to tan...
It is getting dyed.
:)