Friday, December 21, 2007

Haiku - A Kind of Beauty

For me there is no beauty like that of winter light, cold and steely or misty and muted. Wales sits well under a winter's sky. Here are three haiku on my favourite times of day: dawn, twilight and midnight. For other haiku on things of beauty check out One Deep Breath here

Frost ferns on the glass
dawn's light paints the pearly sky
the day has begun

Cold silken light. A
robin lifts his solstice song.
Rose kissed clouds linger.

Winters night spits stars
lift to touch the cold white sparks
but my hearth calls me

8 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Oh, that is very beautiful. Frost ferns on the glass is an image that conjures images of my childhood home. You've beautifully captured the struggle between the known and the unknown. God bless, and Merry Christmas!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love the winter light too! I love the phrase cold silken light and the robin's solstice song is always wonderful to hear!

Anonymous said...

Dawn definitely my fav. haiku and the best part of my day...by midnight I am dead to the world, zzz, maybe I should stay up as your haiku makes me want to :) Thank you Sian.

Lorraine said...

OMG- it's only 4 days?

Love the picture of your little angels- they are darlings.

lissa said...

All wonderfully written. I like the second one - especially the line - rose kissed clouds linger.

Patois42 said...

Gorgeous imagery in all of them.

qualcosa di bello said...

dawn through a frosty glass & the call of one's hearth on a winter's night...so beautiful!

Sian said...

Thankyou all :)