Thursday, December 20, 2007

December's Crafts

This blog has been a bit quiet on the old crafty stuff of late, but that does not mean that there has been no crafting going on. Indeed, I have been snowed under making stuff for Christmas and here is the thing I am really proud of, it is all from the stash! I haven't bought any wool since oooh October I think.

Here is the stuff I have made for the girls teachers. It is a tiny village school and every single teacher there has some kind of input into my girls. At this time of year there is not really the money to spend on bought gifts for teachers, cos even if you just get them bath salts or choccies it all adds up, but raiding from the stash - well, it's just time then isn't it? I would say that this little heap took me about a week.


Pictured are: Felted scarves- Blue faced Leicester Humbug (brown). Cerise merino with trilobal glitz in parrot. Grey merino with "mardi gras" pencil roving swirls. I was particularly pleased with the way that that turned out, the flame shapes at the edges makes it a particularly flamboyant piece of felt (for a particularly flamboyant, wonderful teacher).
Also present (no pun intended) are two hairbands decorated with pencil roving, they are the spidery things on the right, a crocheted hat in hanspun merino with a mohair picot edging and a crocheted scarf, not handspun but two commercial yarns plied together.

Look at the crimp on that fleece will ya? Lovely, lovely,lovely stuff
(sorry, bit of spinnerese there)

The jewelry was easier as I can knock out about four pairs of earrings in an hour. The floating necklace was a bit of a fiddle, but worth it in the end. It is called a floating necklace because the beads are strung on gut and appear to "float" against the skin.
I made other stuff too, a felted necklace, another crocheted scarf of merino with a jacob fringe and a felt glasses case but I was in a bit of a rush to get them packed so I forgot to take a pic. But that is it for Christmas crafts now. I have to get the house tidy again and wrap the family pressies. Any spinning done from here on in will be purely recreational stress busting stuff. There is some Falkland tucked away in the attic, lovely spongy stuff to spin and makes the best hat yarn in the world. But for now, hoovering awaits.
Have a great day. Ta ta!

2 comments:

Sa said...

You are amazing!! Making pressies for all the teachers! How amazing are you?? Nadolig Llawen!

Pippa said...

Well done Sian! I'm sure they will LOVE their gifts - they all look beautiful!