Friday, December 07, 2007

Christmas Shopping

Whew! What a nightmare and it has barely started yet. Swansea was heaving, full of people who pushed, shoved, ignored personal space - old women are particularly good at this. I leant into one old space invader in the queue in Marks, really put some weight on her, evil of me I know, but she was a sturdy old bird and didn't budge an inch. So I brought out the big guns. In an act of staggering violence, I turned around and raised my eyebrows at her. She stepped back. Never have met a Brit that can stand in the full glare of a raised brow.
Feeling much better we went to Debenhams and I promptly lost my sister. She could not have disappeared more effectively if she had been kidnapped by aliens. It took me well over half an hour to find her and we could not figure out who was more annoyed with whom, though as the younger sister I naturally took the blame because hey, I'm the youngest right? And if my eyebrows can make an ignorant old biddy take a step back, my darling sister's lifted eyebrows would have made her spontaneously combust. I know my place. I love my sister by the way, she is my absolute hero.
As a particular treat, it was off to the LYS (see, I know the lingo)* to pick up some Y obviously. But while there I succumbed to the lure of some particularly stunning ice blue frosted glass beads...and some bugle beads in mixed colours and some sequins (tacky I know, sue me) and little pink cubes and some frosted plum ovals too. Have I told you I have a serious bead habit, it is worse than wool really because they are so much easier to store ie, keep hidden from V's sight.

So, back home and hide the goodies. My husband is out to the rugby tonight, not an uncommon event in Wales, but my dear V has lived on this earth for over forty years and has never, in my knowledge, gone to a rugby match in any of them. I wonder how he will like it? He'll probably shout himself hoarse, have a whale of a time with Uncle Daisy and probably take another forty years before going again.
What shall I do tonight then? Oh I know...some beading I think.

*
LYS - Local Yarn Store, whough Swansea is only local-ish for me. There is no YS near me' cos I don't count the acrylic nightmares that Shaws in Neath offer us as yarn. I've got nothing against man made fibres, but make them soft for goodness sake.

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Sian- I understand about the beads, I can't get enough of them.

Patois42 said...

Please, you leave me hanging. "Uncle" Daisy?

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

What a nightmare that Christmas shopping; I've done everything online so far!! haha

Sian said...

Patois: Uncle Daisy is a friend of ours, a sturdy bloke, built as only generations of rugby players can make them, but Lily cannot say his given name and bestowed Daisy upon him as an approximation. We found it so cute that it stuck. Daisy wears it well.

Jessica: A sensible thing to do and cyber shopping is what I will stick to as well from here on in.