Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Yesterdays Drive

Rhigos Mountain. It has a little lay-by which is haunted by sheep and lost ice cream men. Today there were only gladitorial chaffinches fighting for a frankly uninterested female. I tried taking pictures of their aerial combat but of course they were far too quick for me. I consoled myself with the view.



It was pretty chilly, we had to dust a light frost off the car before setting out. V regretted his refusal of the hat that I dug out for him. Granted it is a particularly insane looking one - earflaps and all - so he paid the price for vanity in the coin of burning ears. We put the lid up on the way home as the temperature plummeted while we were up there. But sitting there with Gods own country spread before us, nothing but birdsong and the breath of trees...there was nowhere else on earth that we would rather be. You can keep the Algarve, I am glad to my heart's core that I live in Wales.

The two old farts. V took this at arms length. I am saying "That'll never take us" hence the frown.

the obligatory cocoa.

On the way home we had a slightly dicey moment on a roundabout and a lorry who could not be bothered to check his blindspot. I thought, as likely maiming or worse got too close for comfort, that I had at least spent a perfect last morning. V looked at me as though I was nuts when I told him this afterwards. There was never any danger apparently. Funny these stupid things happen and we realise how glad we are to be alive.

Have a happy, sunlit day.

6 comments:

Sa said...

Glad to see you are enjoying the car already!

My brain is switched off, sorry bout cancelling coffee. Soon ok?

Anonymous said...

thanks for the pic's of the valley where i was born. been away for the last five years.buy MrV some ear muffes. pink ones. look after that car. what name have you given the new car.Burty or the open top????

Pippa said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time in your lovely car (apart from the scary bit with the lorry!). You should get V some ear-muffs!

Greg C said...

Looks like it was a great day. I really love solitude and quiet. Yesterday I worked in the garden and just listened to the birds call. It was so peaceful.

I will try and remember where I got that special cupcake.

Lorraine said...

Nothing farty about you guys at all.

The Lost Ice Cream men- (giggle)

Anonymous said...

Your pic is soooo Mysthpace!