Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Patois Story

The heat was building although it was still early. Outside in the dusty streets, stall holders were extolling their wares. Children played, mongrels lurked looking for what ever scraps they could find, women shopped for spices and murmured over flyblown meat. Clanks and a steady tread announced the arrival of a Roman patrol pushing their way with utter contempt for young and old alike. People scurried to get away.

I sighed and turned from the window and stared around the room. Spotless and laid out ready for the doctors arrival. Hannah sat, apparently unconcerned, employed at her endless sewing. I was too restless, though I did not pace. I just stood and chewed a nail.
This doctor coming today, although new to the area, had an excellent reputation. A Greek, unusual to find one in a country town, but he was skilled ...and expensive. I sighed again.

Reuben was sick of sighing. Reuben was sick of a lot of things and I mourned the loss of the quiet comfort that was once our marriage. For twelve years he had put up with a barren wife. And not just barren, but bleeding and unclean. Twelve years, almost as long as we have been wed.
I was sick with isolation, the Law demanded that I touch no one... not even my husband.
No, it would not be long now before Reuben divorced me and took a new wife, one who could give him children. We loved each other once, we could love each other again. If only...

Hannah lifted her head "Come and sit. Ruining your hands will not bring the Greek any sooner."
I sat beside her, watching the steady pull of the needle through linen. She radiated peacefulness and I envied her.
"What news of little Elizabeth?"
"Nothing good" Hannah replied. "Leah has given up and Jairus is beside himself"

I laid my head on my cousins comfortable shoulder "I am so tired," I whispered.
"I know," she replied. "It will not be long now. Who knows, perhaps this one will be different. Perhaps he will know what to do and you are still young Rachel. You and Reuben may yet have a child."
"Only you, Hannah, would say something like that" I said. "And only you would be able to say that without your words killing me."
Hannah nodded and shifted her weight a little "There is nothing that is beyond our God" she said peacefully.
"You say that" I whispered. "And I almost believe it and then the rabbis look through me and the healers cannot stand to touch me. They take our sacrifices and they take our money and not one of them cares! Not one of them cares about us at all." Tears once more when anyone would have thought that I had none left to give.

A knock and the servant ushered a man in "Lucas the Greek doctor my lady"
***
The doctor looked away as Hannah helped me adjust my shift. He washed his hands and dried them fastidiously on the linen cloth laid out for him. He slowly arranged his instruments in their roll of supple leather, glancing from time to time in my direction until he was certain I was more composed. He sat on the edge of the couch facing me.

I should be used to this, after years of being poked and prodded, leeched, bled, fed foul tasting potions. I should be used to all the whole dragged out procedure. But in fact, it only got worse. Exhaustion flowed through me and I knew that this would be the last time. No more maulings by strangers. No more careless shrugs or pity. Not that this young man had been rough or uncaring, but I could tell by the determined set of his shoulders that he was steeling himself to give me bad news. It was no more than I had expected. This was indeed the last time.

"I can give you no hope lady" his voice was soft and compassionate. "The condition has been established for too long. Had I seen you sooner, perhaps when the symptoms first occurred."
I smiled wryly "Twelve years ago doctor, you were still with your mother, let alone studying medicine in Athens"
The doctor laughed softly, "Sepphoris, lady, and then Rome"
"Rome! What are you doing in a Judean backwater like this?"
He shrugged "Backwaters need doctors too. And this backwater is more interesting than most. Events are occurring that need further study."
"The Nazarene" Hannah whispered.
The doctor refused to be drawn. "The Jews I have found are people of faith. Do you have faith lady?" he asked
"We do." Hannah replied stoutly.
"I do not know" I replied. "Does desperation count?"
He returned my twisted smile "Faith does not come easily to the Greeks. I have little myself, but in time I might find my answers and I might find them with this man from Nazareth. He is travelling this way they say. It would do no harm to seek him to hear him speak. Apparently he has done some remarkable things."
"I cannot leave the house in daylight doctor. The Law forbids it." I whispered
He rose and gathered his things. "I am more sorry than I say that I cannot help you. But as your doctor, I would advise you to wrap up well."
Hannah looked bewildered, but I knew what he meant.
"Goodbye Lucas, may God go with you"
"And with you lady, every step of your journey."
Hannah and I stood as he left the room then faced each other. "Hannah, my dear, will you please fetch me my stole. I think I may pay poor Leah and Elizabeth a visit, then I think I might see what is going on at the market place."

Not the end but many know how that story finishes...


1 comment:

Patois42 said...

Very well done, Sian. I am quite impressed. This flowed so beautifully and touched me.