Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Of Shawls

Remember this? Intended for a beautiful shawl collared cardigan for me


has instead become a beautiful shawl destined for a friend's 50th birthday gift.

Indeed, it is tearing the old heartstrings a bit that I will have to give it away but I suppose that is a good sign really, isn't it? (if you click on the pic above you can see the pattern a bit clearer)
So I am not complaining, really I am not but I love this yarn and it was a difficult realisation that of all my stash, this was the only yarn I had that was plentiful enough, lovely enough and bulky enough to be worked into a shawl by this weekend.
I have tons of lace weight but I find it tricky to work with and there was no way I was going to get a lace shawl sorted in a week. But I am almost there with this one. It is worked in double trebles on a 9mm hook so it is a mile a minute affair and this pic was taken after roughly an hours work. Now I only have a few more rounds to do and a border and there we are.
This was done so terribly last minute because only last weekend did I finally believe that we were going to be able to make the party. However, thanks to the Wonderful Sharon, who is having the twins, V and I are off for the weekend on our own for the first time in eight years! Woo hoo! Rose is going to the MIL's as usual and so off we are to a country house hotel, with a super posh birthday bash (black tie and evening gown affair, probably cocktails and champagne too) in Sussex don't cher know... I am trying hard not to look forward to it too much but it is hard work.
So, I've got my frock, V has got the DJ (and rather spiffy he looks in it too) what more do we need? Fine weather and clear A roads for a lid down road trip.

14 comments:

Technodoll said...

Oh wow! that sounds like a 2nd honeymoon of sorts :-) What a treat.

Lucky lady who will get your lovely gift, too!

Anonymous said...

enjoy yourselfs.have a good time. James Bond and his Mesdames weekend????????have a great time.make sure you wash the car.

Sa said...

How Jealous am i! If anyone deserves to have a break you two do. Have the best time and make the most of every second

Kati said...

Oh, that's going to be a beautiful shawl!!! I'm sure your friend will adore it.

Have fun on your mini-vacation!!! I hope you feel refreshed & rejeuvenated (sp?) when you get back!!!

robin ann mcintosh said...

i just found your blog, it's beautiful!! looking forward to reading more :)

dottycookie said...

I hope you have a lovely trip.

I love that yarn too - I made it into a hat for myself, and what was left is form contrast toes in my current pair of socks. the colours are utterly delicious.

Pippa said...

How very fancy! *Such* a shame you can't use that yarn on yourself, but I understand the dilemma. What a wonderful weekend you shall have!x

Greg C said...

That looks lovely. Have fun at the party. You give nice gifts. :)

Anonymous said...

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Sian said...

Please, no one worry about Reginald...it is my nephew complaining that I did not publish his earlier and absolutely unprintable comment. He is a nice boy really :)

Lorraine said...

Sian- Could you get more of the yarn for yourself?

Have a wonderful time.

Sian said...

TD: Hope so ;)

Pod: I know! I know! But we will drive it down the hill and it will be bogging before we hit the main road let alone the M4! :)

Sa: You betcha babe! I'll tip back a cocktail for you :D

Kati: Thank you, I hope she will like it.

Little Bird: It is lovely to meet you :)

Dotty: I might have enough left over to make a hat for myself *grinning*

Pippa: It was nice to complete a large project and it frees me up for the Icarus I am planning to knit soon :)

Greg: You say the sweetest things :)

Thanks everyone for your loveliness

Sian said...

Lorraine: Yes, I can and I will probably make the cardi eventually but I am waiting for the Rooky silk for the Icarus and that is going to take me a looooooooong time to do.

Greentwinsmummy said...

Hullo I have just found your blog via Yarrows at Oakmoon,the shawl is looking beautiful & I notice you are a twin mum! I am battling to try to learn to knit with toddler twins :o)
Its reassuring to know in 5plus years I might be off out for a night with my hubby lol!
GTM
x