Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Result

setting up

soaking the yarn


drying over the bath

I was a bit iffy about how this was going to turn out. I put the yarn in the dye and while the silk went violet immediately, the camel just said yeah, so? (see pic with red spatula) - I was prodding it forlornly at this point as if poking the stuff with a bit of plastic ould make it more permeable somehow. 'Ah nuts' I thought. 'Pod was right and I've ruined hours of work'. But I kept ploughing on, heating gently, simmering for twenty minutes then leaving it cool. Meanwhile, to stop me prinking, I cleaned the oven, washed down the cabinets and sorted out the hall - the things I will do to stop myself from fussing over a project. Yes, for me, housework is a displacement activity.
Ah well, it turned out fine in the end. There is a funkier stripe to it than I thought it would be. The silk is a deep bluebell colour while the camel has turned a dark pansy purple. I think it will work up well, if a little busier than I pictured. The wool that I used to tie the skien has gone a most delicious shade of violet - I think I will have a go with some falkland I have lurking in the stash.
Just as an aside, it smelt terrible while the stuff was simmering. I don't know if that was the yarn, the vinegar or the dye or what but I hope it doesn't stick around on the yarn or else my shrug is not going to be a popular wear.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sian it's looking good kid i'm glad it worked. don't worry about smell. give it a few days for the smell to die down. then put it near some heat to get rid of ammonia and salts, then take some yarn, test it in a wash of comfort.it should smell nice, and tell you if dye is fast. love St Poddy.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Very pretty.....glad it turned out for you!

Sa said...

NICE!!!

Technodoll said...

ooo i like it! glad blogs don't transfer aromas though, LOL! wet wool and vinegar, eeek!

can't wait to see the final piece!