Saturday, February 02, 2008

On the Wheel Today

Tussah silk tops...

Make super glossy yarn!

I have spun space dyed tussah silk before and the dye always makes the fibre stiff and a bit sticky. It is fine when it is spun up and washed but, oh, it is a real pleasure to spin silk as soft and slinky as this.
I was treadling away in work today* and a chap asked me what I enjoyed about spinning as it looked very monotonous to him. So I picked up a snippet of the silk top and handed it to him. He held it and said "Oh!" in surprise, then he fanned it out in his hand "Oh yes, he said. "That is special isn't it?"
"Yup"
Sometimes you just need to let the fibre do the talking...

This is set to be plied up with the camel down and then dyed. I am desperate to get into the dying pot so I will be aiming to get this lot spun up in the next evening or two. Nothing like a hunger for the end result to get a bit of focus in the project!

*it has become a matter of course now to take my wheel into the YMCA and everyone seems to take it as the usual eccentricity one can expect from the Hills.

Oh and Wales won !!!! *Does happy dance* Da Iawn Boys! Sing it Daisy, Cyril and V - All together now "Wa-les, Wa-les!"

5 comments:

Sa said...

There is something about being Welsh that is just so FAB!!!

Anonymous said...

Well after my vehement and boisterous singing last night, at least the English know where they can shove their chariots now :D

Anonymous said...

surely if you have to keep telling people how eccentric your are, then you are not? Truly eccentric people see them selves as perfectly normal and do not label themselves as so, rather leave it to the views of others.

Sian said...

Sa: I love being Welsh too :)

Cyril: Be nice :) x

Anon: Ouch! But fair point.

Sian said...

Cyril: lol! Can't publish that one either but I love you lots too :)