Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ashburnham - a few pics

I can imagine Mr Darcy swooping over this bridge in his barouche.

Capability Brown was fond of the odd water feature...

This is a distant view of the stables.
I guess their horses were v high maintenance.

The family church.
We don't have our meetings in there,
we have them in the main house

The main house.
This was once three stories high all along,
but dry rot and death duties brought it low.

More pics tomorrow as we are off to Battle*.
"You may take our lives but you'll never take our freedom!"

Um, wrong I think you'll find...



* I know, I know, wrong battle, but Conquerer Bill (aka William the Bastard**) must be a bit unglamourous really 'cos Hollywood has ignored him completely.
** 'Strue, honest!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you are all enjoying yourselfs.Darcy more like Mr V on rollerskates. tell sara and the gang don't get use to it.back to chopping wood.cleaning the floors.etc. or and to look after the kids.sorry to bring you back to earth with a bump.nice when it lasted. heard food wonderful.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Looks like a beautiful place.....thanks for taking us along :)

Pippa said...

I LOVE Battle! If you get a chance, check out Rye too. Wish I could be there too! Have a fantastic time. (But why your anger towards William the Conqueror?) x x x

Sian said...

Pod: thanks for that :)

Jessica: You are welcome :)

Pippa: Rye sounded cute when you wrote about it on your blog. But I am aiming for Canterbury on Friday. We shall see.

And as for William, not even I can hold a grudge for a thousand years :D
He really was known as William the Bastard obviously due to his illegitimacy and not because he couldn't keep his garlic scented froggy fingers off Harold's throne...

Anonymous said...

Yeah its funny they've never made a film of 1066.
Battle the town is really nice, although i nearly killed myself tripping backwards over a traffic cone... :|
The Battle ground is nothing special mind, its just a field!
A flashback from year 4 just came to me, we were watching a video about the Norman conquest and the teacher went to fastforward the tape because he was going to say that title, but she mucked up and she pressed play as he said '...known as William the Bastard.' As you can imagine the place erupted and I don't think she ever lived it down.
Seriously, she emigrated to New Zealand soon after. LOL!!
love ew xxxxx

Greg C said...

Is that your house? If so, I want to come visit. :)

Sian said...

Greg: They could fit my entire house in the one room :)

Pilgrim said...

Beautiful pictures Sian. I love the history of the UK. This past Saturday night we watched Elizabeth the Golden Age. The architecture and craftsmanship of the great cathedrals and castles is fascinating. You are blessed tolive in such a beautiful place. I look forward to more photos.

Pilgrim said...

PS Your comment convinced my to bring Pilgrim back.

Technodoll said...

ooo greens... so many greens. i have green envy now :-(