Friday, March 14, 2008

This week I am mostly reading...

Fitted Knits by Stephanie Japel

The simple pleasures are the finest aren't they? And to my mind there are few finer pleasures than a vanilla latte, an apricot muffin and the company of a friend in Borders book store, unless it is all of the above and knitting too.
Curled up in the comfy brown velvet chairs, sipping hot, sweet coffee, laughing nineteen to the dozen and debating which delicious book to add to the library. And I settled on this one. I bought it ages ago, but it is impossible to review something when one is frothing with excitement about which project must be done first. So I go from that to paralysis - I can't decide therefore I do nothing- and then it all settles down a bit, I pick a yarn and away to go.
There are twenty five projects in this book and they come under the headings of: tubes, tanks and tees; shrugs, cardigans and wraps; sweaters, vests and coats; and dress up clothes.
Only the last category holds stuff that I would not want in my wardrobe, that is because I cannot see the merit in a knitted dress, but that's me. The other examples are by and large sheer gorgeousness. I have a weakness for shrugs, so ballet, so elegant and so easy to knit but there are some cute little jumpers too, fitted naturally and some have those cute little peplums that says sexy librarian to me. Its a good look if you can carry it off.
There is nothing in here for the chaps or the children by the way, this is just for the girls. I don't mind that so much as my man is deeply uninterested in hand knitted sweaters (just too man at C&A for him to hack, old eighties dude that he is) and my kids won't wear anything that's not pink and I'm allergic to pastels so that is that out.
There is nothing in this book that I would not feel equal to having a bash at even though knitting and I are still to really yet to knatch. This is because the directions are free from gobbledegook even though there are no charts and it is written in a warm but authoritative tone that is quite encouraging without being smarmy.
It is hard to know what an experienced knitter would make of this book: there are one or two challenging pieces in there (an i cord sounds no fun whatsoever to knit) and there is a smattering of lace too but largely I would say that this is a good book for a confident beginner who wants to push the boundaries somewhat and produce something beautiful without too much hassle. And that too is another one of life's little pleasures.


6 comments:

Ragged Roses said...

Hello and thank you for visiting my blog. I am in awe of anyone who can knit, so I will just have to join you for a vanilla latte, apricot muffin in Borders and look at a different book!
Kimx

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I have always been interested in knitting......how do you go about learning? Is a book a good place to start or is knitting something that's better taught by an actual person?

I can't wait to see your creation!!!

Anonymous said...

sian when you are sipping that coffee ask yourself where did the tanktop go.bring it back a chest warmer in bright color's.enjoy your coffee and cake,

Lorraine said...

Sian- There are so many new knitting books out there- it's great to have a review.

Have you noticed how expensive they are?

Greg C said...

Allergic to pastels? Hmmm there is nothing you can take for that. That outfit is very interesting but I must say that it would be hard to find someone it looked good on.

Sian said...

Kim: Hello :) I am in awe of anyone who can knit too!

Jessica: A book is okay but I have found that learning from someone else is easier. Try a class or a stitch and bitch if you can find one.

Pod: The tank top has hopefully sunk to oblivion and I am not about to try and resurrect it.

Lorraine: I would love to hear your opinions on a book or two. And yes an awful lot of craft books are expensive.

Greg: Fitted is always a good look :)