Monday, March 31, 2008

Carrots and Aardvarks

My first ever quilt block.

It needs a press but I can't find my iron...
(I don't do ironing)

A close up

I am ridiculously pleased with their tails, a cluster of French knots. It has been about twelve years since I last did any embroidery and by golly it shows. I can see at least twenty errors here and the patchwork is wobbly. Still, I showed the finished patch to V, happy as a dog with two tails. He peered at it and said...

V: Oh that is nice. (long pause) Why are two aardvarks fighting over a carrot?
S: What!? They're rabbits!
V: Bloody huge rabbits.
S: And that's a heart!
V: Why are they fighting over a heart? That's gross.
S: He's giving her a heart 'cos he loves her.
V: Oh. (longer pause) I wonder what kind of nightmares that designer has...

at that point I gave up.
I am still happy with it because it is something new and I gave it a go. It is not important that it is not perfect because this little project is for me. I won't be giving up my spinning wheel though - this is a light flirtation, spinning is for life :)

In other news we went to get the new car yesterday and what a little beauty she is. It was a lovely drive up the Heads of the Valleys road, through the Cotswolds and on to Buckinghamshire. It was a sunny day and it was pure fun driving down with Dean and Thomas, laughing like drains at the crazy names that the English had for some of their villages. Anglo Saxon is a helluva language - Crumps Butts anyone? Of course butts were archery targets but honestly...
No pictures sorry, we only stopped twice. Both times in distinctly soulless service stations but the countryside we drove through was stunning. The sky is so open in that area we noticed, no mountains getting in the way of the horizon. Very beautiful for a visit, but there is no place home is there?

So we have brought the new baby home and there she sits, quite incongruously outside our tiny house. I took her down to Tescos this morning and I've never had such fun driving, I was grinning like a cheshire cat all the way there. It takes quite a bit of shopping in the boot too. I haven't tried getting the spinning wheel in there but failing that there is plenty of room in the front seat. Anyway, I am taking this baby (and a tent) up to Woolfest if it is the last thing I do. Can't wait 'til June! Roof down, CD blasting, stop for the night in the Lake District and then on to Cumbria for a weekend of fibery fun. I wonder if the boot will be big enough to carry my stash back. Plenty of time to worry about that though.

And I wanted to thank you for the lovely comments that you guys left on yesterdays post. I appreciate it, really I do.
x

9 comments:

Patois42 said...

Oh, but your V is a funny one. That's adorable. And how can you not iron? I thought that was in a UKer's DNA.

Lorraine said...

Sian- Men just don't have a clue, do they?

I LOVE your bunnies!

Amanda said...

Love the bunnies. It is such a beautiful spring project!

Technodoll said...

LOL funny man! Maybe he needs glasses ;-)

We'll need pics of you in your new shiny baby, spinning wheel peeking out of the trunk (er, boot) and all.

Convertibles here rarely have a chance to strut their stuff. Mleh.

Sa said...

You two are hilarious, You need to have your own sketch show.

Reading your little write up of the conversation made me laugh out loud and realise how much I am missing you all!

Greg C said...

I love the comments that you got on your artwork. I knew right away that it wasn't too kangaroos kissing, one having a chain in her nose with a pink locket on it. :)

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

They don't have to understand, they just need to support us, right?!?! haha

And those pesky mountains.....I know how that goes.....I forget how vast the sky really is until I travel down the mountain! I wouldn't give up my mountains for anything though.....I love them too much :o)

Sian said...

Patois: I think the main reason why I married my man was the fact that he makes me laugh...and about ironing, yes, my mum even irons her undergarments. I guess it skipped a generation with me.

Lorraine: You've gotta love 'em though, right? (men, not bunnies - though bunnies are cute too)

Amanda: I didn't think of that, but you are right :)

TD: He huffed a bit at the glasses suggestion :D
Pics of the new baby soon I promise. And okay, convertibles don't go well in sixty feet of snow but you get sleighs and snow mobiles and cool (no pun intended) stuff like that.

Sara: Oh love, soak up the warmth while you can. And eat your own weight in cornbread for me :)
x

Greg: I can see you and V getting right along...
:)

Jessica: I know, once you are used to mountains you can never leave them. But you have huge mountains. Not like ours which are bijou by comparison :)

Pippa said...

I love your first square - those bunnies are very cute. And hurrah for the new car! It sounds wonderful x x x