Sunday, April 29, 2007

Wings

Wings
Flared... searching,
whirring skywards .
Released
to the power of the wind.
Freedom
of open skies

Wings
Furled... seeking,
nestling close.
Comforted,
safe from the storm.
Undercover
of His wings

See more Sunday Scribblings here
...and congratulations on the book, Laini, it is beautiful.

I wrote the above in church this evening while waiting for the worship to start. Wings is such a varied prompt. I could not get a grip on it, but then I thought about angels wings and from there it was a short step to Jesus. I don't often write about Him, I do not have the words but here is a rare offering. The freedom that He gifted us with and the love he offers us. He is more than beautiful.


Another thought spark was the pair of buzzards that nest in the wood at the bottom of our mountain and on summer afternoons the thermals from the valley floor lift them effortlessly into the sky and they scream with joy. Wheeeee! Wheeeee!
Each time I hear it it reminds me of the joy in the Lord that is our strength and the promise that we will mount up on eagles wings and never be tired again. It is the feeling I get when I dance in worship. I am certain that I very often thud about... but while I'm dancing I can feel the air moving on my skin, hear my heart race (Very unfit see, but it doesn't stop me) And I feel so aware of movement and the texture of sensation. It is amazing. I know why the buzzard cries.

1 comment:

Crafty Green Poet said...

It's wonderful to watch buzzards soaring on thermals!