Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Hot Dark Knight


Sir Rodery of Caerphilly Castle

Today we went to see a demonstration of siege engines and medieval warfare in Caerphilly. It was a warm day and poor Sir Rodery was sweltering in his plate armour that weighed about 100lbs. We managed to get quite close up and the chain mail looked so intricate, so delicate but it could take quite a bit of punishment. It looked crocheted if I'm honest but it was, in reality, the result of hours of painstaking linking, that amounted to some serious money being spent on a weekend hobby.

The kids loved it, running around with bows and arrow. There was a fletching demonstration, falconry, the siege engines of course and finished up with a grand melee between Welsh and English, but despite huge and obviously biased support, the Welsh lost! This year's rugby all over again really.

I wish I had another day in the week as it looked such fun, I would love to join a re-enactment society. I think V would look rather spiffy in plate armour and I could have all that extra time sitting in a long pretty lace up dress, spinning away looking picturesque. I mentioned this to V and he stated that plate armour aside, that pretty much was life as usual in our house.

No comments: