Wednesday, April 04, 2007

300

What a strange film to want to go and see. But I did and I cannot figure out why. I think I was curious to see what it would be like. And I really enjoyed it too. There was not a single second that did not provoke an emotional response, whatever that response might be. It was exciting, vivid, emotive, heroic, glorious and in parts revolting, but it was not dull or worthy or preachy which I suppose I have run thin on lately. But I love heroes and I appreciate men and masculinity, strength and faith and courage.

The film has been trashed by critics as variously racist, facist, homophobic, homoerotic, brutal, hammy, ridiculous, camp and downright weird.


It wasn't hammy or ridiculous, but I can see how they reached the other points of view. However, I thoroughly enjoyed it. And here's why. Because I do not look at films like this for their deeper meaning as I don't believe they have one and to go looking for one is pointless.

The film was not based on real life or history as we fondly believe actually occurred. A fact that seems to have bypassed otherwise intelligent reviewers.
Sparta was a horrible place to live. It was a military regime with an economy based on slave labour. The Greeks occasionally had a thing for young men and they did not like the Persians much.

The film however was well structured, beautifully filmed in sepia and grey which really made the scarlet of the Spartan's cloaks (and the blood) stand out. The fight choreography was clear and at points balletic. Really, for something that is based on a comic, I think that is about as much as anyone can expect. Plus the fact that it was the Spartan queen (above) that got to run a traitorous skunk of a politician through with convincing energy and panache. I believe I cheered at that point much to V's half horrified amusement.

I doubt that my mum would have enjoyed it at all, in fact I cannot think of a single person of my aquaintance who would. (V is now watchingthe BBC's Pride & Prejudice in an effort to take away the mental taste of blood.) I don't think my gentle husband is of the Spartan disposition. Thank goodness, there is no place for them in our house! But they did very well for two hours of heroic, gory escapism.

No comments: