Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sunday scribblings

So much for haikus!

Ember

Roots go deep in this my country.
Scars run too, fel dwr mewn mine.
These things run through us,
run deep, run long,
Forming our souls as a mountain's spine.

This earth was robbed by a stronger hand
Riches stripped for an Empire's maw
My people's song
ran deep, ran long
But wrecked upon the hardest shore

My land wears her scars like a lioness
with grace and strength and hard won pride.
Grasslands veil the wounded hills,
run deep, run long.
Curlews weep on the mountain's side.

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl in mi
It's the place I long to be


[It's very derivative I know and rather idealised too, but considering I have done little else these last few months than adapt Cordell, what can else can be expected?]

7 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

It reminded me of global warming. We are responsible for that ravaging the earth to suit ourselves.

gautami
Rooted

gautami tripathy said...

It reminded me of global warming. We are responsible for that ravaging the earth to suit ourselves.

Gautami
Rooted

Beaman said...

I like it. Very strong and passionate which is great.
The Welsh additions enrich it. I used to live in Mid-Wales, in Powys, for two years. For one year I learnt basic Welsh but I never really took to it. Maybe because I'm English. :p
Good writing!

tricia stirling said...

lovely poem! i like the physicallity of the scars through the earth.

rel said...

Sian,
"These things run through us,
run deep, run long,
Forming our souls"
I couldn't agree more! No matter where we are, we're from some where and it's at the core of who we are, no matter who we become.
Thanks for a nice read, and welcome to SS.!
rel

Sian said...

Thankyou all for your kindness. It is very encouraging

Christy Woolum said...

With the earth as a theme this week as we celebrate Earth Day, what a better way to celebrate then with your poetic words. I am glad I have found your blog.