Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Project Spectrum

The idea of Project Spectrum is simply a celebration of the colors around us, and taking the time to notice them. Each month over a six month span will be devoted to a color group - participants can knit, dye, crochet, weave, spin, stitch, paint, scrapbook, sew, quilt, cook, grow, photograph, bake, or bead items in that color group (of course all arts and crafts not mentioned here also count!).

It is really about expressing yourself creatively - making something beautiful, and creating something unique with your hands. It is also about thinking outside of the box - perhaps taking up a new hobby, or a long neglected one, or finally dabbling in design.

Text above is lifted directly off the Project Spectrum Page.

So, there are three colour groups that you get to paddle in for two months. I am taking as my key words: Thinking outside the box.

April/May colours are:Green, Yellow, Pink. These are not colours that I customarily work with. I think pink is a difficult colour as so often it looks twee or saccharinely cute. Yellow I love, but I can't wear and neither can anyone else in the family. Green is one of my favourite colours but I like it best on trees. Having said that I like lime a lot, but lime doesn't mix easily with the other two. Like I said, if I were a designer then I'm certain I would see a way through this, but I'm not.

Oh dear, just realised. This is the point of the excercise. Break out of the box, girl!

I get very bogged down sometimes and I end up restricting myself. I like to have a project in mind and produce yarn or what ever with that objective. Outrageous creativity doesn't often happen to me.

So I reckon that I must relax, card up fibre and see what happens...I think beads will come into it somewhere down the line too.
Craft on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

confuded by colour eh? Take a look at this nifty little site
http://kuler.adobe.com and be inspired by peoples glorious colour schemes.