Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Plot Thickens

Off to Ponty today to pick up an ashford and a few drop spindles on loan for the Blaenavon Festival. There is an interactive session in the morningand the cast will be doing all sorts of things that their character might do as part of an everyday working life in Blaenavon in the 1840's. I will be doing a spinning demonstration and letting folks have a go themselves. I thought that I could make up a few spinning starter kits - a drop spindle, some carded wool and a leaflet and sell them for a couple of pounds.

The photo is of Blaenavon Iron Furnaces, heavily mentioned in Rape of the Fair Country.

It means that I have to get going with carding up the old shetland fleece that I've got in my stash but at least it will mean a huge free space in my wool cuboard. I might have a go at dying up some of the mixed white that I have as well to add for a bit of variety.
I do so love a project all planned out.

Also the new book that I ordered came today. What with my Icarus kit taking such an age to arrive - it's been a month now and still no sign - I thought that I would go surfing round some lace knitting blogs and saw a stunning example on The Daily Purl from the Victorian Lace Today. It looked so wonderful that I just succumbed to temptation straight away and scooted over amazon and Bob's yer uncle. And here it is...lovely, lovely stuff.

So off now for a quick cuppa and a long look at knitting art and who knows... maybe I'll have some stuff of my own to show soon. I'll have to get this festival out of the way first though. Tunnel vision has started to kick in!

1 comment:

Greg C said...

I couldn't tell you how I found your blog but it was by blog jumping. You have a lovely blog. It made me happy to visit it.
Greg