Friday, May 11, 2007

The Funniest Thing Just Happened

Just picked Eden and Lily up from Nursery, quick upstairs to change and there's a knock at the door. My neighbour, who is a good bit older than me, holding a ball of wool and a crochet hook. "Teach me how to crochet, there's a good girl, I'm off to hospital for a knee replacement and need something to keep me from going pen wan walics.*"
So in with her and everything is suspended while she learns how to crochet. Not even interested in a cup of tea - which is flat heresy in Wales. If you are not offered a cup of tea within the first few minutes then they don't want you there. Well I offered of course but she was so busy we neither of us had the time to take it up. Very unusual this.

She is back home now, the other side of the wall, hooking away - she picked it up very quickly indeed and I gave her one of my favourite crochet books to look at for a bit.
This is just one of the reasons why I love living up here, little things like that reminding us that there is still such a thing as community.

I went to Cardiff the other day. I got on the train, half an hour there, went to the one shop that I had to go to as they didn't have what I wanted in Neath, and the train back home again. The whole trip took two and a half hours and that includes the interminable wait at the station. I think I was in the city for about 25 minutes and heaven knows that was long enough to get conned by a fruit and veg man on the way back to the station selling me gone off strawberries. (Which the chap in Neath market wouldn't have thought about doing.) The ones I picked up were beautiful but the ones he put in the bag for me were a different colour punnet and had obviously been taken from the last minute tray underneath the counter.

Not a happy bunny me on the train back home. Cities? You can keep them.

*Welsh - no idea what the direct translation is but it means "going crazy"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, when you had visitors you offered them tea but then took an hour to make it? were we not wanted? And remember that if you ever want a trip to Cardiff that's where I go every weekday. (and also come home from).

Anonymous said...

Doesn't 'pen wan wallics' translate something like 'week in the head'?

Anonymous said...

'yn benwan holics' or 'yn benwan walics' Translated means - hopping mad...
now you know.

La Tea Dah said...

I am so happy to have found your blog. It is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

btw. I discovered your blog 1 week ago today. !!