Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Just a Bit More Yarn

Rose Basket - plied on bobbin


Rosebasket singles - on skeiner


Rosebasket Tussah Silk Roving - from Wingham Wool


Rowan Kidsilk Haze in Liquer arrived this morning. This is destined for the cobweb shawl in Victorian Lace Today.


The Rosebasket tussah silk was hanging around in my stash for ages. I loved the colour, bought it and didn't know what to do with it. I blended a bit in felting and carded some up with white merino to spin but nothing really grabbed me (though I am proud of the cot blanket that I made with it). Then came Victorian lace today and I thought. I reckon I could spin up some silk fine enough for that. Now however, I have seen the Kidsilk haze and realise that the rosebasket is probably just a little shy of being DK. Far too hefty, but I will give a scarf a go from it, just on bigger needles. I have over 600 yards of it for goodness sake and I strained my foot spinning the lot and plying it, so it can't just sit there.

I will see how the Jewel Box silk compares for weight and colour and something might be contrived with that. Or not, it's going to be fabulous anyhow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yarn on dude!
ahem... enough of that.. going to read a book now. ;)

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness, that's lovely! The color is so vibrant. You're right - whatever gets made with it will be fabulous. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Oh, and since you pointed out to me that Mari had tagged me, I'm tagging you. :) Also because I've decided to do the 101 in 1001 that you mentioned.