Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Summer Holiday Survival Skills...

It is day 15 of the Summer holidays. Possibly four of those days have been sunny and the kids are going bat shit (frankly) for want of fresh air. There are after all only so many things one can do with glitter and paint...and computer games and DVDs and much though I love Charlie and Lola, it does not bear continuous repeat well.

Today the girls did cutting out - and the mayhem that they left behind made me exhausted just looking at it. How do teachers manage? Is that what school is? One enormous exercise in legal stimuli?

So I am starting to think the whole parenting idea is not my forte. This is on top of the realisation that V used the brush that I keep for the cat's dishes to clean the twin's breakfast milk mugs. I went from zero to fishwife at lightspeed
But how am I supposed to know? V reasoned
Because it is Zac's brush, because it is kept separately from all the other cleaning things, because you have lived here for eight years, because you are in fact supposed to know.
Hormones were blamed as the standard male defence and things took a real nose dive.

We lost the car keys. I am not joking, they disappeared into the ether, one might think that the hobgoblin had them. V got all stressed which is not his usual mindset and that really set me off. So he swiped the peugeot with the admonition that until we find the keys the MG is just a hunk of blue metal. The neighbours would have found my answer both shrill and educational had there been any around to hear, as it is my reputation received no further self inflicted blows.

And I was left with three stir crazy kids and impending PMT. Oh Joy.
Fortunately my latest purchases from amazon arrived shortly after V left. I am sure the postie could still catch the whiff of brimstone on the doorstep. And he left me a particularly absorbing book - Dita von Teese's collected thoughts on the Art of the Burlesque. This purely gorgeous confection of crystals and corsets did a lot to lift this girls spirits. If that is what cheers you up too then you might want to check it out.
The children were treated to two new collections of the tellytubbies. And then we played shops and painted our toenails. I love being a mother to girls.

Below is a pic of one of the roses that V brought home for me this evening and he is cooking me tea right now. I believe V finds roses an essential survival skill...


Oh, and he found the cars keys too.

10 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Cody would call those, "Be nice to me again flowers" hahaha

Lorraine said...

Sian- Sounds like a typical day at my house- except I don't get roses anymore.

Kim said...

Yep, could be a scene from my household too, and I don't get roses, just banished to the field!!!

My children are getting bored too, so I'm sending them to scrub fleeces for me, hahaha!!!

Kim x

Nicole said...

Roses are a wonderful part of any survival kit. Even if nothing's going wrong, they are a lovely pick-me-up.

Anonymous said...

The creation of roses were for men God knew what He was doing.????HAS he Mr V found keys.what i do is look for something else, for sometime i have been looking for my paying in book. then was looking for some brushs.and found the paying in book so i then went to look for a small bible.and found two brushs. now where did i put that £130.????? sian only a few weeks to school term. or and you lady should ask the question where did he get the money from to pay for the roses?????????

Sian said...

WW: Ahh the joys of hormones! :o)

Lorraine: But you get lizards! C'mon, that's pretty cool...

Kim: If I gave any kind of fleece to my girls for them to wash I would have felt within ten minutes...and I think that your field is the best kind of banishment :o)

Nicole: You can tell that you are feeling quite rosy yourself! :o)

POD: He probably found your £130!

Kim said...

Luckily it rained so no fleece washing for them! I'm thinking of using your wool for felting in some form or other, but I want to do something really special with it. It would make a lovely Dragon!

Kim x

Sa said...

oh bless you all rofl! Sounds like a typical day in your world! Husbands and kids, can't live with em can't live without em. Never mind girls night out on Saturday!!!

Anonymous said...

the £130 MrV wouldn't do that would he.your mother now she being in the mafia?Gun's and all that a lady of many parts?

Anonymous said...

SIAN please take a look at my blog. were you a bad cook or are you still?????