Saturday, August 30, 2008

Guy Stuff


I was never a tom boy, I don't understand the off side rule, power tools are a little bit scary and while I have no problem walking into a pub on my own, garages make me nervous. I like hardware stores because they remind me of my dad but they are not my natural environment - that is V's department, along with everything electronic up to and including tuning in the TV.*

So it is annoying that just as V has bogged off to Africa that the loo cistern has sprung a leak.
Now my first instinct would be to call a plumber but it took me less that a minute to envisage my beloveds face when he discovers a plumbers bill in all the paperwork that will be waiting for him when he gets home.
Plan number two involves silicon sealant, vitreous gloves (the suspiciously snappy kind that haematologists wear - I use them for dying wool) and yards and yards of loo roll.

There were hardly any instructions on the sealant, the manufacturers presuming that people are born with some kind of instinct for the stuff. But after snipping the top off and having a few trial runs on some cling film it seemed not too far removed from icing fairy cakes. If I took things slowly then all should be well. Ha!
I found out several things very quickly. The main one being that silicon sealant does not stick to anything that is wet such as a leaking cistern but give it a chance to smear itself on jeans, vitreous gloves, hair (that was a laugh) and ones nose and let me tell you a little of that stuff goes a very long way indeed. And man, it reeks! A nasty, burning, chemical smell. So that, plus the angle was flipping awkward and the stuff was sticking to anything but that which it was supposed to and you can bet I was a narked bunny when I'd finished. I took huge pleasure in throwing the whole sticky lot in the bin. Okay the chances are slim that I have fixed it but a girl can hope can't she?

In other news, I went to yet another funeral day before yesterday. I think I have been to more funerals this year than I have in the last five years put together. Is this an age thing? Will funerals start to become a yearly expectation? My grandmother always greeted each birthday with a cheery "This might be my last one"...until of course one year it turned out that she was right.
Oh and I hope that one day soon, people will be expected to hand their mobile phones over at the door of the church or crem or whatever so that they will not go off in the eulogy. This has happened at the last two funerals that I have been to and really, it was crummy.

I went to a pyjama party last night to reward myself for all my hard work. The kidlings and I decamped to Dizzys for an evening of daft films, popcorn, pink wine (for the grown ups) and chocolate (for everyone). It was a lot of fun but a terribly late night for the girls and I have been paying for that today in the coin of grumpy children. Early night tonight and a dedication service in church tomorrow.

I hope that once the girls go back to school I will get my crafting mojo back. I haven't spun all summer. But now the light is changing and the nights start drawing in I will remember again the lure of wool and the hum of the wheel.

Have a golden weekend all of you



*I want to emphasise here that I am not helpless - I can bleed a radiator, check the oil in the car, I can heave coal, I can even change a tyre if pushed and I once wired a plug - but I had to get a book out of the library to make sure that I was doing it right.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun post, and the perfect antidote for a last final hot and hazy and dull summer weekend that I am spending at home rather than on a road trip somewhere. Really enjoyed (how cruel of me) hearing about your trials over the plumbing. I totally agree about cell phones at funerals, and just about every other place too. Well, maybe it's not too late in the day to make a run for some wine and chocolate...

Anonymous said...

that's why hubby's go away it makes lady's think?get use to it can see V going alot.i know he is missing you it won't be long now.have a goodtime tomorrow, dizzy will be there and free food.sorry to take the mick no i'm not.if you need the job to be fixed tell sa myself or alan flay will do it.

Patois42 said...

I'm just imagining you buck naked save for strips of silicon hanging from various places. (Relax. I'm harmless!)

Sian said...

Deborah: I reckon everyone in Britain would give real money for some Summer warmth right now, hazy and dull or not...and it is never too late to run for wine and chocolate :o)

POD: Thank you my dear, I think the leak is sorted now anyway :o)

Patois: *screaming laughing* I have had commenters like you before! It is not a job to do "au naturel" as it were...folding laundry maybe or practising the mandolin even but not plumbing :o)
(Sorry T, could not resist)

Pippa said...

What awful timing for the loo to do such a thing! It's as if it was waiting until V was gone - how rude of it! Hope it's sorted now. And sorry to hear about all the funerals - let's pray it's the last one for this year.
I love your new banner and new pics x x x