Thursday, July 17, 2008

Once more...

Insomnia has me in her gaunt and comfortless arms... I absolutely loathe not being able to sleep for all kinds of reasons but there are unexpected benefits too.

I am sitting here with the window open (despite relentlessly uninspiring weather it is quite stuffy at night.) I can hear the waterfall and the odd car swooshing up the valley but mostly I can smell wood smoke. One of the neighbours is obviously having a late night too and is burning apple wood by the scent of it...it is very pleasant, makes me want to go and toast marshmallows.
What am I saying? There is the rest of July and at least some of August to go before I should feel this autumnal.
Pray for good weather tomorrow...I have to tackle the garden soon - less gardening, more like disrupting the ecology of an environment*.



*no, I don't use any chemicals or other nasties but is more than one way to kill a snail...which reminds me - why don't snails eat Japanese knotweed?

7 comments:

Technodoll said...

mmm put out a bowl of beer, the snails looove it and end up drowning in it...

Oh, wait. then you have a bowl of dead bloated snails to deal with.

nevermind... g'nite!

Ragged Roses said...

Not being able to sleep is awful, you have my sympathies. I seem to be doing it a lot at the moment too, I haven't yet reached the stage where I can find anything to enjoy about being wide awake while everyone is deep asleep. Good luck with the gardening and the sleep and the snails
Kimx

Lorraine said...

Sian- I have a snail catcher that you put beer into. Since I don't like beer, and the snails seem to- it works really well.

If I don't sleep I become demented. Poor you.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I adore the smell of applewood....mmmmm

Anonymous said...

snails. do you eat japanese seaweed when Mr V takes you out and do you have galic butter and snail?just like the snails you only eat what you like.

Kati said...

Hope you find yourself sleeping MUCH better tonight than you did last night.

Sian said...

TD: I don't know if I want to waste good beer on molluscs :o)

Ragged Roses: Lovely to see you. I hope you get to sleeping well soon too :o)

Lorraine: Perhaps if I drank the beer then I could get some sleep and I would not care so much about the snails either :o)

WW: Wood smoke is good but apple wood is special. I am glad someone else gets it too :o)

POD: Cooked snails are completely safe from me. Live ones...well, they take their chances :o)

Kati: Glad to see you back and thank you :o)