Saturday, July 19, 2008

It's not Voodoo


It is just a dolly - a princess no less and it is taking me an inordinately long time to do. I sew rather better than I knit but frankly that is not saying much. I am doing this freehand, no book, no pattern, no idea. My mum* would be horrified, however, she is far too busy to be bothered with my efforts right now as I have given her the task of making the dragon.
This is for a story sack, (more info here) a reading initiative for nursery school age. I like making these very much but it is not a small undertaking. I will post up a few more pics as soon as she has hair and a dress. I may be some time with this...feel free to talk amongst yourselves...


*My mum is an excellent toymaker, it is really her finest craft though she is pretty handy at most crafty things and really anything else she has a mind to do.
Among her more bizarre accomplishments is the ability to use handguns and (three decades ago) she taught my sixteen year old brother how to box by the simple expedient of getting a boxing instruction/manual from the library and giving it their best shot as it were. This backfired rather as shortly afterwards she flattened him with a beautifully placed uppercut. She was horrified but her children, including my brother, were inordinately proud of her for that. To meet this softly spoken, diminutive woman is to be completely deceived as to what a powerhouse of energy she really is.

6 comments:

Kati said...

Best of luck with the dolly!!! I hope you'll share a picture of her when you've got her finished.

And, your mom sounds like an incredible woman! Which helps explain why you seem so cool yourself.

Anonymous said...

didn't know your mother is a secret assasin for the mafia,she kills them with a hand gun, she can chop up the bodies and the sewing of body bags and her cover is that she trains boxers.does Mr V know about any of this.

Sian said...

Thanks Kati :) The doll has hair now but I am really struggling with her dress and I think I need to edit that bit about my mum cos I have obviously given Alan the wrong idea :D

POD: Remind me to introduce you to her sometime :o)

Anonymous said...

About your mother.DON'T GIVE HER MY ADDRESS.what's wrong with doll looks good to me.if you have any hair left over i'm in need of a lot to cover my head.

Pippa said...

Ooo a princess! How exciting!

Sian said...

POD: You would pale if you had seen what I had to do to poor dolly to get the hair in her head. As John said, "They don't put marble tops on cheap furniture"
x

Pippa: True...when I get sewing I never know what it is going to turn out like. A real adventure :o)