Friday, November 30, 2007

This week I am mostly reading...


So with the fibre blahs ( as The Sherriff so aptly calls it) still firmly in place despite the fact that I have merino waiting to be spun into Christmas pressies which normally would have sent me into a whirlwind of pleasant activity...
I have instead plumped for putting up my still baddie leg and reading delightful trash. This is good trash though. A bit like Turkish Delight, you know that there is no content but sugar in there and you know that really it is doing you no good, but oh it is just so very tasty. The lit snob in me was shrieking the entire time I was read this - about six hours, yes it is that lite. But then who wants Dostoyevski all the flippin' time? Not this bunny. (I've never actually read Dostoyevski. I have always wanted to, but I take his books out of the library and then discover that my eyebrows need plucking or I have to paint the bathroom etc etc)

So, here we have exotic, wild and beautiful settings; New Orleans, Paris and the Highlands of Scotland and exotic, wild and beautiful creatures; too many to mention but the cast include vampires, werewolves, Valkyries (no less) and some wraiths. As an honourable mention, a Valkyrie is a creature I could really get behind, not like the rather prissy LOTR elves...Aragorn is another matter entirely but I digress.
Ahem...

Ah yes. There is the obligatory devastatingly handsome hero and the stunningly beautiful heroine so far so ho hum. But he is a werewolf and she is a vampire cross valkyrie (some girls have all the luck) and this little tale is their adventures across half the globe: she escaping all kinds of stuff by the skin of her teeth and he literally fighting the hordes of hell for his lady fair. The way I am feeling right now, this piece of mental bubblegum really hits the spot. I love a hero. I loved the way Cole described desperation of loss and I loved the (occasional quite literal) tooth and nail fight for love.
The pace is very fast, the (rather gory) fight scenes lucid, the sex scenes... umm raunchy might be an appropriate desciption and there is fairly liberal use of the f word too. Altogether a book that a good Christian woman might think twice about reading. And I did think twice about it too and then I went ahead and bought it. And now I am going to go and buy the sequels because sneers aside, this is a damn fine tale and there is nothing wrong with that in my book.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good lord woman, put it away!

Nicole said...

I love that book. And the second one. And I will be getting the third when I can. (Actually, the first two came out of the library, but will be added to my bookshelf when I can.)

Personally I think that many good Christian women need more books like this in their lives. I know that I have learned to appreciate the world and God and everything good in my life much more since I opened up to the types of things that good Christian women "shouldn't" do/read/watch/etc.

Have a great weekend!

Sian said...

Cyril: Stop reading your aunty's blog and get back to your studies :)

Nicole: I agree wholeheartedly! :)

Lorraine said...

Sian- It's mind candy- we all indulge every once in a while.

I shouldn't tell you this, but Blue Moon Fiber Arts has her Raven Series yarn out, and one is called Valkyrie-
it's to die for.

Sian said...

Gee, thanks Lorraine! More stuff to break V's bank account with...and once I start at Blue Moon I fear I won't know where to stop!
I think I'll hop over there right now :)