Sunday, November 11, 2007

Remembering

They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
we shall remember them

There is that stillness that happens on this day and we try to absorb for those two small minutes the enormities of two world wars and the other conflicts since.
The First World War has always had a soul impact on me. The optimism with which it started and the unimaginable horror that it trailed behind it.
I went to Borders today and leafed through a book titled Faces of the First World War. a book of photographs and they left nothing out. I was transfixed...but I did not buy it, some things should not be brought home to look at you from the bookshelf, but I am glad I read it.

No comments: