Thursday, December 07, 2006

Silky mitts

I wonder if felting is taking over from spinning as the hobby of choice. It is certainly quicker to produce a working garment and it is meditative in its way. The design possibilities are limited only by one's imagination and its no harder to do than making bread.
Take for example the mitts that I made whilst in Ffald y Brenin. Done in an afternoon! and they are sooo snazzy with the streaks of silk and angelina fizzing through them. Okay, V postulated that they looked like alien varicose veins but to normal brains they definately look snazzy...possibly marbled if you wanted to look at it like that but to say veins would be just too cruel.
My mum loves them. They were made for Rose's teacher but I've since realised that Mrs J is more your stone and ecru kind of girl and these are firework colours all through. So they may end up as the girls Cristmas present to Nanna and Mrs J will get another set made from Jacob's fleece. Poor me - more felting to do, and I've still to do V's sleeves.




No comments: