Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve

I remember one Christmas morning, the winter's light and a distant choir, the peal of a bell and that Christmas tree smell and eyes full of tinsel and fire


This is my favourite day of the year. In the same way that I prefer wrapped presents to unwrapped ones. I love the anticipation, the gleeful excitement that whispers through me every so often like a remembered scent of childhood. I love the hush of early morning and the peace that comes with the night when the kids are in bed and it's just me and my beloved husband, a glass of something nice and the firelight glinting on the decorations.

My store cuboard is full to bursting, I have lots of good things to eat, my children are warm, healthy and have the gifts that they wanted: ludo and a hair& make up doll. They have rather more besides but its nice to give them something they ask for as well as stuff that you know they will like.

I have so much to be thankful for.
Thanks for peace in this land, for people and places that help, for men and women that will walk through fire for strangers, for plenty in our shops and even though there is much that is wrong about this country I give thanks for the many things that are right

I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave New Year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear



No comments: