Friday, December 29, 2006

Party! Party! Party!

I look forward to parties like werewolves look forward to a day trip to a silver mine.

28th December Craig y Nos Castle, Church on the Move's Christmas do: buffet, entertainment and dancing to follow.

Oh Lord

Parties are brimful of opportunities to say the wrong thing, to make an ass of oneself, to drink too much, to see lovely young women and remember that when I was their age I neither enjoyed that time nor appreciated what freedom it gave me or knew how fabulous I looked in that red crushed velvet.

And all the while V, my beautiful, gregarious aquarius with a leo moon, is roaming around the room charming people, helping to set up the mixing desk for the band, chatting, laughing, being wonderfully outrageously entertaining - he will sing later and bring the house down - and all this on nothing stronger than tap water.

So I know that I will spend the evening scrunched in a corner, bristles up, back arched and whiskers quivering, hissing unspeakable fear and loathing toward everyone.

OR

I could get a few drinks inside me and relax a bit.

So I hit the tia maria and ice (jolly nice it was too) and circulated, dropping hello, how are you, did you have a nice Christmas, yes very quiet, yes the kids enjoyed themselves, must go and see how James is doing, see you later. And before you know it I've done everyone in the room and can go back to the bar for another drink, so that's how I spent my evening and between that and wandering to the ladies to check that my eyeliner had not slipped nor my lipstick bled (makeup is anathema to me) I was kept quite busy. So by the third tia maria I was starting to enjoy myself and by the fifth I was on the dance floor with V looking pretty good apparently.

So I made a few discoveries that night
1. I can drink tia maria all evening and not get hammered

2. Parties are not as bad as I think they are provided I can do point 1

3. A black velvet column on a thity four year old is rather better than that red crushed velvet confection on a seventeen year old for any number of reasons. One of which is that the seventeen year old had not yet discovered tia maria.

No comments: