Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Insomnia blues

Is there anything more annoying than being awake when you know that you should be asleep? To watch that precious time that you could be using recharging desperately low batteries slipping away from you, knowing that your kids aren't going to cut you any slack later on even if you are dying quietly into your cornflakes. I can't even hoover or put things away because that will disturb the house and all I have to do is lie there in bed waiting for the memories of all the crass and blundering things that I have lately done to come out from under the shadows and gnaw on my mind until I could take it no longer and decided to write about all this to take my mind off it.

There is logic in there somewhere but I'm not sure where.

The wind is mewling down the chimney, the rain is lashing down and it is cold in my lounge despite a thick dressing gown and a nice warm laptop on me. Its as good as a hot water bottle this. Even Zac is snoring beside me, curled up on his pillow, boneless as only a sleeping cat can be.

We are off to Ffald Y Brenin to... today. A retreat in the Preseli mountains. I could describe it, it is certainly pleasing in design and aethetics, quite Country Living in the simplest way, all whitewashed walls and oak beams but mere words do not do justice to this place so I will suffice to say that although I have not travelled as widely as some, I have done my share and seen some wondrous places but I have never walked in peace like there is in that valley. There is no sound there but the wind and the cry of red kites and the silence drapes over the place like a silk scarf. It passes understanding and I could do with some of it right now.

No comments: