Monday, June 30, 2008

Hair of the Dog

raw fibre

blended with wool

You may have guessed that I collected the poodle fur today. This mutt must have been part moose, there is shed loads of it, nearly 2lbs of gingery fur and although poodle is supposed to be one of the few dogs that are hypo-allergenic, this stuff is making me sneeze fit to bust.

It is pretty though. The official term is apricot which is admittedly nicer sounding than ginger and I have test blended it with both white and brown wool (bottom pic). It looks okay with both and with nearly a kilo of fur to spin that is a good thing because I need a kilo of wool to blend it with and as I am trying to have a small amount of profit out of this little project (no I am not doing this out of the goodness of my heart) I need that wool to be relatively cheap - which means the moorit shetland (reddish brown) that I bought at the Brecon wool market.

I am putting this through the guild's drum carder, I hate to think how long it would take me to blend it by hand. As it is I will be lucky if I get this yarn completed in anything under a fortnight. It is great to have a challenge though - something completely new to work on. Pictures of yarn samples soon I hope.

Hope you are having a prettily ginger, fluffy kind of day too.

9 comments:

Greg C said...

I hope that dog didn't bite you. :) So now I have to look up a fortnight. I forget what that is.

Sian said...

It would have about six feet to go in order to bite me Greg, it's been dead five years! :D

Technodoll said...

I can send you giant bags of soft akita fur if you want, ha ha! Some people actually do spin and knit it..

Anonymous said...

are you sure this is what you say it is or is it hair from J. powell?looks like it to me.nice mix

Anonymous said...

had a word with V about new laws regarding keeping chicks.hear it somewhere? have a look at the keeping of chickens web sites.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

That's so strange.....Although, I suppose that I've seen worse :)

Ragged Roses said...

When I was little, a lady who lived up the road had an apricot poodle. It was the prettiest colour dog I had ever seen! Good luck with your sprinning, looking forward to seeing the results.
Kimx

Sa said...

you have been tagged by me!! Thanks for the lift today

Sian said...

TD: I think it would be a nice idea, if you want a scarf made from Melon head then send me the fluff. I'll even knit it up for you!

POD: Ewwww. I think that is a bit ewwww :o)

WW: I am intruiged...

Ragged Roses: Yes, I am curious as to what it'll end up like too...

Sa: I'll pop over now. Thanks for your help too.
x