Friday, June 13, 2008

A Weighty Problem


So, I ordered this skirt because it was just too cute. It arrived and I promptly wore it for a jaunt round town. Got as far as 50 yards when a gust of wind demonstrated to me exactly how unwise it would be for me to go one step further lest I be arrested.

Not to worry. After changing my skirt,* I dashed off to Bait and Tackle, the angler suppliers in the town centre and completely bewildered the assistant by demanding to see lead line weights. Apparently they are no longer done in lead as it is bad for the swans don't you know.
The swans gain is my loss and I cannot think of anything else that I can sew into the hem of my tartan mini that is sufficiently heavy enough to protect what little modesty I have on a breezy day.

Suggestions on a postcard please...

*Yes, I keep a change of clothes in my car. It sounds mad but it is in fact sensible when one has young kids.

9 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Just don't wear thongs and you'll be fine.....haha

dottycookie said...

Curtain weights? I have no idea if they are still sold but my in-laws had them in the hems of all their curtains and they were heavy for their size. They might be a bit big though.

Anonymous said...

very small metal nuts sew them through the holes ask Mr V did you see the chap dancing on my blog and the hippo singing sa thinks you dance like that when you have gone without your power juice.??????

Technodoll said...

Wear some Spanx and you'll be fine... "nothing to see here, move along" :-D

http://www.spanx.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3010055&cp=2992555

Anonymous said...

Get em out!!

Sa said...

Do what we did when we were kids (yes tartan mini skirts were in in the early 90's) (Yes I am that young) we used large pins that we put on the outside as a decorative piece, thus keeping it all together. Please note that this is not a nappy pin but a much larger pin!

Sa said...

ROFL Technodoll is a scream! I could just imagine you in spanx saying nothing to view here, move along! Am crying here with laughter and now my tummy hurts!

Sian said...

WW: I am afraid I can't possibly comment :D

Dotty: I shall have a look, thanks for that :)

POD: Good idea, but how well would they wash?

TD: Oh my gosh. I had no idea they made knickers that big still! You could cover a wagon with those things!

Cyril: :D

Sa: Good idea, but I would have to use them all the way round...and I was in minimum wage hell in the early 90s and have blotted those years from my memory :)

and yes, TD is fabulous...

Technodoll said...

Ah but the Spanx are sooo awesome... Hollywood is flush with them, I kid you not!

They shape, contour and smooth the wimmins bits AND keep letches at bay :-D

I have a pair in black that I wear under "thin dresses" cuz you know, I am not 18 anymore and nobody needs to see things going south... he he!

"move along"! :-D