Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Serendipity

Hello,*waving at you* I am the teeniest bit squiffy, not howling, but slightly foxed as one might say - if one lived in the 19th century that is - I have however always liked that expression.

Tonight after work, I was dispatched on an emergency run to Tescos as we had run out of both milk and bread. While there, having not eaten in about six hours, I was a bit peckish so I bought myself a ready meal, vege chili, which I thought sounded quite nice and meant no effort at all. While skittering off to the checkout I remembered that we were a bit low on cider and decided to pick a couple of nice single variety brews for a treat. So far so fine. Then I thought - Oooh , I wouldnt mind a drop of red for this evening, we could watch Casablanca and chill out for a bit. While umming and ahhing over merlots I literally bumped into a chap, I backed my trolley right into him. Somehow we got into conversation and what a sweetie he was. It turns out that he was both a wine buff and a bit of a gourmet (he was certainly built like one - a very sturdy bloke he was.) Anyway, I confessed myself a complete philistine when it came to wine and asked him to recommend one. We spent the pleasantest half hour discussing wine and the food that went with it, swapping recipes and such. Finally he admitted that he didn't like recommending wine because people's tastes differed so widely. I asked him which one he had picked and promptly chose the same. A chianti. Then I thanked him quite prettily for the pleasant conversation that we had had and bade him farewell.

As he had told me the chianti was good with meat dishes, particularly the spring lamb that he was going to grill with garlic and rosemary, and suddenly my vegetarian ready meal seemed deeply lack lustre. So off I went to the meat section and lashed out on a fillet steak. Yikes - I remember in my student days, I would eat for a week on what I paid for that darn steak but it was good. Really good. And far less expensive than what I would have paid for it in a restaurant.

So it has been an excellent day. A shopping trip for pretties this morning, a peaceful stint in work and then beautifully well behaved chianti, medium rare fillet steak, and Lindt 70% dark chocolate that made that perfect snap sound when I broke it.
Happy, happy day.

(I hope that chianti does not bite my backside tomorrow morning, I am way too old for hangovers.) Which kind of reminds me of this. My favourite comic, who is not quite as smashed as he sounds, talking about hangovers. Almost makes one bearable. Two minutes long and if you listen to this then you will probably go out and buy the DVD, cos that is what I did.

Warning: it is not edited for language,okay? But heck, he is Irish and consequently can get away with almost anything...



As an after thought, I also recommend his sketch on the French. I find it hysterical, but it is very very rude also. So you can find it here if you want to chance it.

6 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Going to the grocery store on an empty stomach is a recipe for disaster! I always end up buying way more than I intended to :o)

Anonymous said...

sian you are normal, you are just like every female.you go into to the store for one or two things and come out with a trolley full just like all women. why don't men do this.??????can't understand why you watch what you watch.

Greg C said...

I got into it with someone last week about wine. He tried to tell me that the wine I was selling was junk and I told him that there were a lot of French wines that I thought were junk and it was all about what "I" liked. I don't drink one wine or another based on what someone else says is good.

I try not to shop on an empty stomach either.

Technodoll said...

LOL! so a milk n'bread shopping trip turned into quite the expensive expedition, didn't it!!

I love when that happens. sigh.

I want steak!

Lorraine said...

Sian- In Canada, you can't buy liquor in the grocery stores- they have separate wine kiosks, but it Government controlled.

Picking up guys in the grocery store- it's a great place to meet people.

Anonymous said...

As you so disgustingly displayed a quarter-pint of ale gets you smashed so it's hardly surprising.