Friday, October 09, 2009

Favourites

Here are the rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you've read that will always stick with you. They don't have to be the greatest books you've ever read, just the ones that stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.

  1. To Kill a Mockingbird - the best book ever written. No contest
  2. A Hat Full of Sky - the ending is so high on life that it makes me feel woosy just thinking about it
  3. Twilight - Repeat *The Cullens are not real* but Oh how I wish they were.
  4. The Time Traveller's Wife - Cry!! Did I?!!!! Awash, baby, awash.
  5. Sun Horse, Moon Horse - My first historical fic. I was hooked aged 8
  6. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - CS Lewis, Aslan... nuff said.
  7. The Brother's Lionheart - First fantasy novel. I think I was 7
  8. Jane Eyre - A classic. Romance, a sturdy heroine and Timothy Dalton showing Mr "fancypants" Darcy how it's done.
  9. The Bloodaxe Book of Contemporary Women Poets - You mean there are other women poets apart from Sylvia Plath?
  10. The Moon in the Water - My second historical fic and read so many times I can't think straight.
  11. The Sunne in Splendour - Edward the Fourth, wot a bastard.
  12. Clan of the Cave Bear series - Sheer bloody awesomeness.
  13. Rape of the Fair Country - Incitement to racial hatred, probably. But it should be required reading in Welsh schools.
  14. Duncton Wood - Moles in an allegory of Christianity. You have to read it to get it.
  15. The Fionavar Chronicles - A more readable and infinitely sexier rendition of LOTR. Okay, it doesn't have Boromir or Aragorn but a little mental substitution goes a long way.
Astonishingly heavy on fantasy novels with a smidge of historical fiction. One poetry book...only one *hangs head in shame* but Paradise Lost and Dante refuse to stay with me even though I love them so...

No comments: