Thursday, November 16, 2006

Puritan collar shawl

I liked the puritan collar shawl so much and it eventually worked out to be quite simple once I'd got the hang of it that I decided to make another one for V's aunt. I found a brilliant cerise yarn very chunkily spun in a single and away to go.

Pattern for Puritan collar shawl
With chunky yarn and 15mm hook, ch as long as you want the shawl to be from elbow to elbow. I did about 35 ch.
Foundation row: 1 dc into back of each ch.
Row 2: * ch 3, miss 1 dc, dc into next dc, rep from * to end.
Row 3: * ch 3, dc into 3ch space, rep from * to end.

These two rows form the pattern (very simple isn't it? Barely a pattern at all really)

Work this for 4 or 5 rows depending on how wide you want the shawl to be. Take into consideration the breath of the shoulders that are going underneath and be adaptable. With this pattern, an error does not really matter because if the work has to be undone, it works back up so amazingly quickly

For example, my sister is very slight, I used a fine spun yarn, plied double, with a 10mm hook and the result was light and cobwebby. Aunty Heu is a far sturdier gal and needs something with a bit of weight to it, hence thicker gauge yarn and 15mm hook, change width according to recipient but the premise stays the same
I find undoing very disheartening and have decided that from now on, chunky and quick is the only way to be.
The most important thing however, is to be flexible with the work. Perfectionism and I do not get on. If its an pretty colour and it is soft to touch, preferably warm as well then I am happy enough. That said, ask me about the cashmere scarf I worked for my brother in law. It was all the above and the stiches were not mutilated at all but what in the unspun fibre appeared to be a soft cocoa brown, turned out in a worked up scarf to be a desperately awful khaki or as the Welsh say "cachi" which translates as a crude word for poo.

Anyway, back to the pattern.
By now shawl should be about 36 inches long and about 6 inches wide. Break off yarn and count in to the 5th 3ch sp. Start work from here in pattern rows. Continue in row until you reach the 5th 3 ch sp from end and stop there. Work only those few middle stitches for another 6 rows. break off yarn and work in ends.
You could if you like work a contrasting colour round the edge in dc.

It should now look like one half of a bardot style cropped, short sleeved top. I'll see if I can put a picture of mine in for you to compare




No comments: