Saturday, October 21, 2006

Todays things to do

Well,
Spinning - finish off the purple merino for Rose's Crimbo jumper. Fantastic fibre, just slippery enough to make it interesting to spin and I've made some whopping errors in it, snap or unravel., they have to come out somehow. I've made it into a reasonably chunky yarn and plied it double but with a tight twist so its not so very casual.

Crochet - start on the said purple. I'm adapting a pattern written for a lighter weight yarn and experimenting with a 15mm hook, so it could well be a disaster but it will work up so quickly that I'll soon know.
Thats the trouble with spinning your own yarn and not being conversant with yarn weights. Who knows what I'm going to get? But they do say that half the fun is getting there. Rose won't care, she chose the colour herself and while I think amethyst is a challenging colour for a child to wear and I'd have prefered her to go for the delphinium blue that would have matched her eyes perfectly - well it's what she wanted and it is her jumper after all. I've already knitted the hem and collar in a commercial velvet eyelash yarn in glowing jewel tones of sapphire, amethyst and azure with a dash of fuscia. I knit like a bear but I managed somehow. I could never have crocheted it - too fluffy and I wouldn't have been able to see where I was going.

As soon as I can figure out the digital camera and how to post a photo I'd like to get some progress pics up on here.

Wire work - don't know if going to get to this but I plan on designing some spinning wheel threader hooks to take to the guild's bring and buy next week. I don't use one myself as my Louet wheel oriface is large enough to do without a hook but the ashfords need them and it might be nice to have a beaded handle rather than the plain wooden ones they customarily have

Anyway, on with the day. Chores half done but the other half to do before the fun starts.

No comments: