Sunday, October 22, 2006

Fifty two ways to name a cat

Today we are hopefully going to get a new cat. Our beloved beautiful big black tom, Arthur died only a few days ago, some might say that he is not yet cold in his grave, but the house seems wrong with no moggie slinking around and I cannot bear it. I am hoping that a new cat, though he could not replace Arthur, will stop me from seeing Arthur's favourite mooching places so appallingly empty.

So we are off to the cat shelter in the next valley with the lovely Liz in attendance, she matches pets to people, a feline matchmaker, and she told me that this cat might be right for us. I hope she is right.

So to names. It is hard to name a pet that has not yet been seen so we have come up with a few differing ones to suit his personality and in deference to the fact that this one is not Mr Right and we may fall in love with a female we have chosen a few lady names too And here they are in no particular order

Samwise; Bumble; Possum; Marbles; Atticus; Fairfax; Mango; Bandit; Littlefoot; Rochester; Cosmo; and V's particular favourite Bugger, only because he can then legally say Bugger the cat. I find it has a certain charm but I don't think that I would want to call the animal in to dinner chirping that particular word from the doorstep, or indeed having the girls use it at all, even though they hear their parents using it far more often than they should.
Girls names are
Bea; Uma; Sophia; Josie; Ribbon; Feather; Cotton and Moth.

I went to this cat names search site on the web and there were thousands of names. I narrowed it down to fifty two on paper and the favourites are here.

We'll probably name him Arthur.

No comments: